Power/Work problem with some Newton's Second Law

In summary, the problem involves a 6.7-kg box being lifted at a constant speed of 2.0 m/s by means of a light rope threaded through a single, light, frictionless pulley attached to the ceiling. For part (a), the power delivered by the person pulling on the rope is calculated to be 0.131 kW. For part (b), the average power delivered by the person pulling on the rope is calculated to be 0.713 kW. The incorrect solution for part (b) was due to not considering the power delivered by the man's force, rather than the net force acting on the box. Once this is taken into account, the correct answer is obtained.
StormDuck

Homework Statement

A 6.7-kg box is being lifted by means of a light rope that is threaded through a single, light, frictionless pulley that is attached to the ceiling.
(a) If the box is being lifted at a constant speed of 2.0 m/s, what is the power delivered by the person pulling on the rope?

Correct answer: 0.131 kW

(b) If the box is lifted, at constant acceleration, from rest on the floor to a height of 1.6 m above the floor in 0.42 s, what average power is delivered by the person pulling on the rope?

Correct answer: 0.713 kW

Homework Equations

W=|F||d|cos(θ)
Power = Work/Time
∑F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I've solved correctly;
P=T*v = Tvcos(Θ)
P=T*v (cos(0°) = 1, so I removed it)

∑F = ma
a = 0
∑F = T - W = T- (m*g) = 0
∑F = T - (6.7kg*9.81 m/s^2) = 0
T = 65.727 N
P = 65.727 N * 2.0 m/s = 131.454 W = .131454 kW

for b, I'm doing something wrong;

I started with using the a kinematic equation to solve for a

s = V(o)t + .5at^2

1.6m/(.5*(0.42s)^2) = a = 18.14058957 m/s^2

F = ma
F = 6.7kg(18.14058957 m/s^2) = 121.5419501 N
Work = |F||d|
W = 121.5419501 N * 1.6 m = 194.4671202 J
P = Work/time
P = 194.4671202 J / .42 s = 463.0169528 W = .4630169528 kW

Which is obviously wrong from the correct answer that is given...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
StormDuck said:

Homework Statement

A 6.7-kg box is being lifted by means of a light rope that is threaded through a single, light, frictionless pulley that is attached to the ceiling.
(a) If the box is being lifted at a constant speed of 2.0 m/s, what is the power delivered by the person pulling on the rope?

Correct answer: 0.131 kW

(b) If the box is lifted, at constant acceleration, from rest on the floor to a height of 1.6 m above the floor in 0.42 s, what average power is delivered by the person pulling on the rope?

Correct answer: 0.713 kW

Homework Equations

W=|F||d|cos(θ)
Power = Work/Time
∑F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I've solved correctly;
P=T*v = Tvcos(Θ)
P=T*v (cos(0°) = 1, so I removed it)

∑F = ma
a = 0
∑F = T - W = T- (m*g) = 0
∑F = T - (6.7kg*9.81 m/s^2) = 0
T = 65.727 N
P = 65.727 N * 2.0 m/s = 131.454 W = .131454 kW

for b, I'm doing something wrong;

I started with using the a kinematic equation to solve for a

s = V(o)t + .5at^2

1.6m/(.5*(0.42s)^2) = a = 18.14058957 m/s^2

F = ma
F = 6.7kg(18.14058957 m/s^2) = 121.5419501 N
Work = |F||d|
W = 121.5419501 N * 1.6 m = 194.4671202 J
P = Work/time
P = 194.4671202 J / .42 s = 463.0169528 W = .4630169528 kW

Which is obviously wrong from the correct answer that is given...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
In part b when using Newton 2, you have calculated the net force acting on the box. But the problem is looking power delivered by the man's force.

PhanthomJay said:
In part b when using Newton 2, you have calculated the net force acting on the box. But the problem is looking power delivered by the man's force.

Thanks a ton, that was all I needed, coming up with the right answer now.

1. What is the relationship between power and work in Newton's Second Law?

The relationship between power and work in Newton's Second Law is that power is the rate at which work is done. It is the amount of work done per unit time. This means that the more power applied, the faster work is done.

2. How is power calculated in a power/work problem with Newton's Second Law?

Power is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it took to do the work. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for power in the context of Newton's Second Law?

The unit of measurement for power in the context of Newton's Second Law is watts (W). This is equivalent to one joule per second (J/s).

4. How does Newton's Second Law relate to power and work in real-life situations?

In real-life situations, Newton's Second Law can be applied to calculate the power needed to perform a certain amount of work. For example, if a person needs to lift a heavy object, they can use Newton's Second Law to determine the power they need to exert in order to do the work of lifting the object.

5. Can power and work be negative in a power/work problem with Newton's Second Law?

Yes, power and work can be negative in a power/work problem with Newton's Second Law. This can occur when the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of motion, resulting in negative work being done. Negative power indicates that work is being done against the direction of motion.