Precalculus Algebraic Inequality

In other words, X can be any value greater than or equal to 1, or any value less than -1/3. The complete solution is therefore:In summary, the solutions to the inequality -3 < (1/X) ≤ 1 are: X ≥ 1 OR X < -1/3
bcheero

Homework Statement

-3<(1/X)≤ 1

Solve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt at it:
(1/X)≤1 and (1/X)> -3

X≥ 1 and X> (-1/3)

Am I doing something wrong here? Is this the complete solution? Looking at my answer, is there more that I should I add?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

For each inequality, you have to consider two different cases: X > 0 or X < 0. You also have to be careful. When you multiply both sides by a negative number, the sign of the inequality flips. Therefore, if X < 0, one of your solutions is wrong. Let me show you. We start with:

1/X > -3

If you just multiply both sides by X and then divide both sides by -3 without ever flipping the inequality sign, you may get the wrong answer, depending on whether X is positive or negative. Consider, for example, X = -1/4. It satisfies your solution that X > -1/3. However, it means that 1/X = -4, which is NOT greater than -3. So in this case, your solution is wrong.

You have a very responsive community here!

So if I fix the error that you pointed out, will my solution be correct?

bcheero said:
You have a very responsive community here!

So if I fix the error that you pointed out, will my solution be correct?

Did you read what I posted? For each of the two inequalities, you have to consider two different cases: X > 0 and X < 0. Therefore you're doing four computations. Each case will in general lead to a different solution (meaning a different range of allowable X values). So your solution is incomplete.

EDIT: To clarify, your final solution will then be the intersection of these four sets (allowed x ranges)

I considered your scenarios and this is what I have:

X ≥ 1 , X< -1/3, and -1/3 <X<0

I think you're close, but that's not quite right. Since you've clearly given it a number of attempts let me run through it for you. Let me know if you have any questions:

CASE 1: X > 0

As you know, our original inequality is actually two separate ones:

i) 1/X ≤ 1
ii) -3 < 1/X

To solve (i), I'm going to multiply both sides by X. Since X is positive, I don't have to flip any signs, and I end up with:

X ≥ 1

To solve (ii), I'm going to multiply both sides by X:

-3X < 1

then I'm going to divide both sides by -3, which requires a sign flip, since -3 is negative:

X > -1/3

Since the above inequality is satisfied by ANY X > 0, this result doesn't actually provide any useful constraint. So the result is:

Solution for CASE 1: X ≥ 1

CASE 2: X < 0

To solve inequality (i) for X, we have to multiply both sides by X, which requires a sign flip since X is negative:

X ≤ 1

Since this result is satisfied by ANY X < 0, it does not provide a useful constraint. Solving inequality (ii), we have to first multiply both sides by X, and then divide both sides by -3. Since we multiply by TWO negative numbers, we have to flip the inequality sign twice, which is the same as not flipping it at all:

X < -1/3

Solution for CASE 2: X < -1/3

The final solution is therefore the union of the solutions for the two cases:

X ≥ 1 OR X < -1/3

What is precalculus algebraic inequality?

Precalculus algebraic inequality is a mathematical concept that involves solving and graphing equations with variables and inequalities. It is an important topic in precalculus that helps students understand how to represent and solve problems involving variables and inequalities.

How is precalculus algebraic inequality used in real life?

Precalculus algebraic inequality has many real-life applications, such as in economics, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to model and solve problems related to supply and demand, optimization of resources, and analysis of systems with multiple variables.

What are the basic rules for solving precalculus algebraic inequality?

The basic rules for solving precalculus algebraic inequality are similar to solving equations. You can add, subtract, multiply, and divide both sides of the inequality by the same value, as long as it does not change the direction of the inequality. You also need to keep track of any negative signs and use the correct order of operations.

How do you graph precalculus algebraic inequality?

To graph precalculus algebraic inequality, you first need to solve the inequality for y, just like solving for a linear equation. Then, you can plot the points on a coordinate plane and use a line or shading to represent the solutions. Remember to use a solid line for inequalities with "less than or equal to" and a dashed line for "greater than or equal to".

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving precalculus algebraic inequality?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving precalculus algebraic inequality include forgetting to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, mixing up the order of operations, and not correctly representing the solutions on the graph. It is important to check your work and make sure all steps are correct and the inequality sign is in the correct direction.