Predicting a decrease in fringe distance (equations)

In summary, there are two ways to change the interference pattern to have closer fringes other than decreasing the wavelength as shown in the example. One way is to increase the path length between the light source and the screen, as this will decrease the distance between the fringes. Another way is to increase the slit separation, as this will also decrease the distance between the fringes. These predictions are based on the equations ∆x = Lλ / d and |PmS1 - PmS2| = mλ, where decreasing the numerator or increasing the denominator results in a smaller value for ∆x, thus making the fringes closer together. However, without access to a laboratory with a laser, it is difficult to confirm these
chef99

Homework Statement

a) Imagine that you are conducting an activity with a laser to create an interference pattern. Use the appropriate equations to predict two ways (other than the way described in the following example) to change the interference pattern in order to have closer fringes. Explain your predictions.

example

According to the equation∆x = Lλ / d,the distance between the fringes (∆x) is proportional to the wavelength (since they are both numerators). This means that increasing one will increase the other. Therefore, decreasing the wavelength will decrease the distance between the fringes.

Homework Equations

|PmS1 - PmS2| = mλ

∆x = Lλ / d

The Attempt at a Solution

1. According to the equation

|PmS1 - PmS2| = mλ

Increasing the path length, (PmS1 and PmS2) will decrease the distance between the fringes, as the further away from the screen the light source is, the smaller the fringes become, thus having "closer fringes".2. According to the equation

∆x = Lλ / d

Increasing the slit separation (d) will decrease the distance between the fringes (∆x), because (d) is the denominator, which means increasing its value will decrease the fraction value, and since (∆x) is on the other side of the equation, and the equation must be equal, decreasing the value of one side will decrease the value of the other.

I believe the first answer is correct, but I'm not certain. I'm more confident in the second answer, but again want to make sure I described it properly. Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chef99 said:

Homework Statement

a) Imagine that you are conducting an activity with a laser to create an interference pattern. Use the appropriate equations to predict two ways (other than the way described in the following example) to change the interference pattern in order to have closer fringes. Explain your predictions.

example

According to the equation∆x = Lλ / d,the distance between the fringes (∆x) is proportional to the wavelength (since they are both numerators). This means that increasing one will increase the other. Therefore, decreasing the wavelength will decrease the distance between the fringes.

Homework Equations

|PmS1 - PmS2| = mλ

∆x = Lλ / d

The Attempt at a Solution

1. According to the equation

|PmS1 - PmS2| = mλ

Increasing the path length, (PmS1 and PmS2) will decrease the distance between the fringes, as the further away from the screen the light source is, the smaller the fringes become, thus having "closer fringes".2. According to the equation

∆x = Lλ / d

Increasing the slit separation (d) will decrease the distance between the fringes (∆x), because (d) is the denominator, which means increasing its value will decrease the fraction value, and since (∆x) is on the other side of the equation, and the equation must be equal, decreasing the value of one side will decrease the value of the other.

I believe the first answer is correct, but I'm not certain. I'm more confident in the second answer, but again want to make sure I described it properly. Any help on this would be most appreciated.
I think your first answer may be incorrect. The angle between the fringes remains the same as you move the screen out. So the distance between the fringes will increase. I am not sure what you mean by "path length." If you increase the distance between the light source and the slits, this might make the fringes sharper - I am not sure - but it will not make them closer together.

Do you have access to a laboratory with a laser? That would be the best way to work this problem - by experiment!

Gene Naden said:
I think your first answer may be incorrect. The angle between the fringes remains the same as you move the screen out. So the distance between the fringes will increase. I am not sure what you mean by "path length." If you increase the distance between the light source and the slits, this might make the fringes sharper - I am not sure - but it will not make them closer together.

Do you have access to a laboratory with a laser? That would be the best way to work this problem - by experiment!

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a lab. I do however have a simulation that was provided with my course materials. I can see that moving the slits further from the screen decreases the distance between the fringes, and this equation backs this up. I think perhaps I explain better below;

In to the equation ∆x = Lλ / d,

Decreasing the distance from the slits to the screen (L), will decrease the distance between the fringes (∆x), as L is a numerator of the fraction, meaning if L is decreased, the value of the fraction decreases, and since ∆x is on the opposite side of the equation, and both sides must be equal, then decreasing L will decrease ∆x.

The reason I didn't use this equation originally is that I already used it for my other example, and I think it would be better if I used different equations for the two examples. I'm just not sure how to identify L in the equation |PmS1 - PmS2| = mλ.

chef99 said:
The reason I didn't use this equation originally is that I already used it for my other example, and I think it would be better if I used different equations for the two examples.
It's OK to use the same equation. It looks like this is an "equation interpretation" question that is aimed at helping you understand what the equation is saying to you and what the symbols stand for.

kuruman said:
It's OK to use the same equation. It looks like this is an "equation interpretation" question that is aimed at helping you understand what the equation is saying to you and what the symbols stand for.

Ok, and my explanation is sound?

In the equation |PmS1 - PmS2| = mλ, PmS1 is probably the distance from slit 1 to the point on the screen where a fringe is and PmS2 would be the distance from slit 2 to the same fringe :)

Likes chef99
chef99 said:
Ok, and my explanation is sound?
Yes.

Likes chef99

1. What factors affect the decrease in fringe distance?

The decrease in fringe distance is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of light, the distance between the light source and the object, and the angle of incidence of the light on the object. Additionally, the refractive index of the medium and the thickness of the object can also impact the decrease in fringe distance.

2. How is the decrease in fringe distance calculated?

The decrease in fringe distance can be calculated using the equation d = λL/2πa, where d is the decrease in fringe distance, λ is the wavelength of light, L is the distance between the light source and the object, and a is the angle of incidence of the light on the object.

3. Can the decrease in fringe distance be predicted accurately?

While the decrease in fringe distance can be predicted using mathematical equations, it may not always be completely accurate due to factors such as experimental error, variations in the properties of the materials being used, and limitations of the equipment being used to measure the fringe distance.

4. How does a decrease in fringe distance impact the overall interference pattern?

A decrease in fringe distance will result in a narrower interference pattern, as the fringes will be closer together. This can make it more difficult to accurately measure the fringe distance, but it can also provide more precise data for experiments and calculations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of predicting a decrease in fringe distance?

Yes, predicting a decrease in fringe distance can be useful in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and engineering. For example, it can be used to measure small changes in the thickness or refractive index of materials, detect small movements or vibrations, and calculate the distance to faraway objects using the phenomenon of interference.