Predicting adult height given current height, age and growth plate measurement

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
moonman239
Messages
276
Reaction score
0
I went to see an orthopedic specialist this year, when I was 15 years and 5 months old. I am 5 ft, 11 1/4 in. The specialist looked at my then-recent X-rays and I was not even halfway done growing. (I'm pretty sure I scored a 2 out of 5.)

I am due for another X-ray sometime next year, at which point I may have a better idea of how quickly I am growing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this may be more of a medical issue than a statistical one, tho you may want to check some regression models for prediction.
 
I just want to make it clear that I have no special training in that area, and
that I am just giving my opinion based on what you posted, so please don't
take what I said as an authoritative statement. Instead, I was suggesting you
could take a look at the literature, look for some studies that you believe best describes
your situation, and then maybe post the data here for us to suggest.
 
Bacle said:
I think this may be more of a medical issue than a statistical one, tho you may want to check some regression models for prediction.

That's what I've been trying to do. Wish there was a Website I could input that data into. Also, I probably should have mentioned this but I have Marfan syndrome, which may eed to be factored into a prediction. Maybe I should just wait until my next ortho appt.
 
You might want to consider then R^2 adjusted for your syndrome; see the bottom of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_determination: .

With the same caveat as in my 2nd post. Good Luck.

Edit: I thought it would be fair to give Pyrrhus credit for introducing me to adjusted R^2.
 
Last edited by a moderator: