1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predicting Collisions of 2 objects

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    Predicting Collisions of 2 objects (EDITED)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Object 1 is at the origin. Object 2 is currently at 10 meters east and 20 meters north(10, 20) moving directly north at 30m/s . If Object 1 is moving at 70m/s, at what angle would Object 1 have to travel in order to collide with Object 2. Approximately where would they intersect?

2. Relevant equations
    I believe it you could use a system of equations.
    mx+b = mx + b

To be honest with you it has been a while since i have taken physics and i dont really think we covered this type of scenario. This isnt my homework but it is vital that i know how to do this kind of problem because it relates to a video game that i am making.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no clue where to begin in finding the direction.

I thought you would be able to solve a system of equations to find the coordinates so that

ycollision = m1x1+y1-m2x2

I would also use the same method to find the x coordinate. However, i dont know how to calculate m1 since the slope would also require a direction, which i do not know how to find..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: Predicting Collisions of 2 objects (EDITED)

Object 2 travels a known straight line and so you should be able to write parametric equations for its x and y coordinates with respect to time (that is, two equations: x2(t) and y2(t)).

For object 1 since you know the speed and not the angle, it could (theoretically) be located at any point on the circumference of a circle whose radius is a function of time as determined by its fixed speed. If you confine yourself to the upper half-circle, you should be able to write an expression that relates the possible values of x1 and y1 to the radius (think Pythagoras).

Can you write the equations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook