Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predicting the charge of a W boson

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    For my Physics exam, I need to know 3 Feynman diagrams: beta-plus/minus decay, proton electron capturing, and neutrinos interacting with matter.

I know that theres a W- in [tex]\beta[/tex]- decay, W+ in [tex]\beta[/tex]+ decay, which seems logical.

However, in proton electron capture there is a W+ boson, and in a neutron-neutrino collision there is a W-. There seems to be no rule governing the charge of the boson.

If there is, could someone please let me know!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2
    p + e -> n + nu

then the electron would turn into a W- and a nu where the W- interacts with the quark
  4. May 25, 2010 #3
    I thought it was a W+ boson in this case, which turns the u into a d?
  5. May 25, 2010 #4
    u plus w+ gives something with +5/3 charge... right?
  6. May 25, 2010 #5
    When a W negative boson is emitted from a neutron it forms an electron and an electron anti neutrino. This causes the down quark from the neutron to turn into a up quark to form a proton. This is the energy released in radioactive decay. That is all I can do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_interaction
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook