1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set under a Lebesgue measurable function.

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    I've been doing a little work with Borel measures and don't want to confuse Borel measurable functions with Lebesgue measurable functions for R^n -> R^m.

I'm, of course, familiar with the definition that a function f:R->R is Lebesgue measurable if the preimage of intervals/open sets/closed sets/Borel sets is Lebesgue measurable.

We also say a function between general measurable X, Y spaces is measurable if the preimage of a set in the sigma algebra corresponding to Y is in the sigma algebra corresponding to X.

For a Lebesgue measurable function f:R->R is it necessarily true that the preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set is Lebesgue measurable? I don't see that this need necessarily be the case.

Am I correct in thinking that a Lebesgue measurable function f:R->R is a measurable function from R with the Lebesgue sigma algebra to R with the Borel sigma algebra (and NOT the Lebesgue sigma algebra)?

I'd be very grateful if anyone could clear up my confusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's an excellent question. The answer is yes: the common definition of a "Lebesgue measurable function" from R to R is really a Lebesgue-to-Borel measurable function. There are examples of functions from R to R which are Lebesgue-to-Borel measurable, but which fail to pull back Lebesgue measurable sets to Lebesgue measurable sets. Here's an example:

Let g:[0,1]->R denote the Cantor function, and extend it to all of R by defining g(x)=0 if x<0 and g(x)=1 if x>1. Then set h(x)=x+g(x). This function has a lot of peculiar properties. For our purposes, we only need the following two:
    1) h is a bijection, and
    2) if C is the cantor set, then the Lebesgue measure of h(C) is 1.

It's a standard fact that a set of positive Lebesgue measure has a nonmeasurable subset. So let W be a nonmeasurable subset of h(C). The pullback V=h-1(W) is a subset of the Cantor set, hence has measure zero.

Finally, let f=h-1. f is a Lebesgue-to-Borel measurable function. However, f-1(V)=h(V)=W is not Lebesgue measurable.

4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot for the explanation and example! It's clear now.

The link you gave mentions the usual calculus formula for arc length doesn't work even though the cantor function is a curve differentiable almost everywhere. Is it sufficient for the curve to be Lipschitz continuous in order for the usual formula (as a Lebesgue integral) to be valid or do I need it to be Lipschitz and injective?

Thanks again.

5. Nov 16, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To be honest I'm not very familiar with how the arc length formula carries over to the Lebesgue integral. I would guess that we need some sort of absolute continuity (which the Lipschitz condition guarantees). So you probably don't need injectivity.

6. Nov 16, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I want to make an addendum to post #2. Property (1) should have read "h is a homeomorphism (i.e. a continuous bijection with a continuous inverse)" instead of just "h is a bijection". This makes the fact that f is measurable transparent.

And here's a fun problem for you to think about: if f:R->R is measurable and invertible, is its inverse necessarily measurable?

7. Nov 17, 2008 #6
    Surely not? In your example f is measurable but but f^-1 isn't :D

Thanks again for your help :)

8. Nov 17, 2008 #7

gel

I think its worth mentioning that in that example f is Lebesgue-to-Borel (and Borel-to-Borel) measurable, as is its inverse, and in fact any continuous function. It's just that f is not Lebesgue-to-Lebesgue (or Borel-to-Lebesgue) measurable.

However I think, h=f-1 will be Lebesgue-to-Lebesgue measurable, but not Borel-to-Lebesgue measurable (exercise!).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. Nov 17, 2008 #8

gel

I think thats an interesting question, but which of the different definitions of measurability are you refering to?
    Borel-Borel, Lebesgue-Borel, Lebesgue-Lebesgue. All gets a bit confusing after a while!

Edit: if you mean Borel-Borel then the answer is yes, but the proof I know is a rather complicated one involving analytic subsets of Polish spaces, and uses the result that a set is Borel if and only if both it and its complement is analytic.

10. Nov 17, 2008 #9

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's kind of ironic that I didn't mention what type of measurability I was referring to, isn't it? I meant Lebesgue-Borel. And as you noted, f won't do as a counterexample.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?