1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Preparatory courses advice please

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    I have to take the courses in preparation to a physics program. They are paid for by my employer, and if I show competitive performance they will consider me for full paid physics degree. The preparatory courses will be taken online at U of Athabasca. I am taking the following courses;

- Calculus I
    - Linear Algebra
    - Chemistry I
    - Physics I

I will be taking two courses at a time. The first two in the summer and the next two in the fall. With my current situation, I can realistically dedicate about 30 hours a week during the summer, and around 20 hours a week during the fall.

Which two courses should I do in the summer?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2
    My vote would be chemistry and calculus. You really should have calculus before taking physics.

4. Mar 23, 2016 #3
    Thanks, the syllabus for Physics says that it can be taken along Calc I... But I guess it would be best if I had a strong foundation in calc before starting physics.

Edit: It looks like this is a good plan, according to another colleague who has also taken these courses for the same program I am taking. Chem + Calc it is.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  5. Mar 23, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Those are all 4 very heavy and foundational courses. I would normally recommend none of these to be taken over the summer. If you do, you need to start preparing for those courses NOW!! You will need to know at least 60% - 70% of the course if you want to be succesful in summer. If you take the course over the summer without any preparation or knowledge of the subject, then you will fail. Also, better brush up on basic algebra and trig.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted