Preparatory courses advice please

• Courses
  • Thread starter CrunchBerries
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the individual is preparing for a physics program and their employer will cover the cost if they perform well. They will be taking preparatory courses online at U of Athabasca, including Calculus I, Linear Algebra, Chemistry I, and Physics I. The individual plans to take two courses at a time, starting with Chemistry and Calculus in the summer. Their colleague recommends this plan, but also advises starting preparation now as these courses are foundational and can be challenging.
CrunchBerries
I have to take the courses in preparation to a physics program. They are paid for by my employer, and if I show competitive performance they will consider me for full paid physics degree. The preparatory courses will be taken online at U of Athabasca. I am taking the following courses;

- Calculus I
- Linear Algebra
- Chemistry I
- Physics I

I will be taking two courses at a time. The first two in the summer and the next two in the fall. With my current situation, I can realistically dedicate about 30 hours a week during the summer, and around 20 hours a week during the fall.

Which two courses should I do in the summer?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
My vote would be chemistry and calculus. You really should have calculus before taking physics.

Likes CrunchBerries
Thanks, the syllabus for Physics says that it can be taken along Calc I... But I guess it would be best if I had a strong foundation in calc before starting physics.

Edit: It looks like this is a good plan, according to another colleague who has also taken these courses for the same program I am taking. Chem + Calc it is.

Cheers

Last edited:
Those are all 4 very heavy and foundational courses. I would normally recommend none of these to be taken over the summer. If you do, you need to start preparing for those courses NOW! You will need to know at least 60% - 70% of the course if you want to be successful in summer. If you take the course over the summer without any preparation or knowledge of the subject, then you will fail. Also, better brush up on basic algebra and trig.

1. What is a preparatory course and why should I consider taking one?

A preparatory course is a short-term educational program designed to help students prepare for a specific subject or course. These courses can provide a solid foundation of knowledge and skills that can improve your chances of success in the subject. They are especially helpful for students who may be struggling with certain concepts or need extra support to meet the demands of a particular course.

2. How do I choose the right preparatory course for me?

When choosing a preparatory course, it's important to consider your specific needs and goals. Look for courses that align with your intended course of study or career path. Research the curriculum, teaching methods, and reviews from past students to ensure the course will meet your needs. It's also helpful to speak with an academic advisor or mentor for recommendations.

3. Are preparatory courses worth the investment?

The answer to this question depends on your individual situation. Preparatory courses can be a valuable investment if they help you improve your understanding and performance in a subject, leading to better grades and future success. However, it's important to carefully research the course and consider the cost before making a decision.

4. Can I take a preparatory course while I am already enrolled in a college or university?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer preparatory courses for students who are already enrolled in a degree program. These courses can be taken alongside your regular coursework and can provide additional support and resources to help you succeed in your current studies.

5. How can I make the most out of a preparatory course?

To get the most out of a preparatory course, it's important to attend all classes, participate actively, and complete all assignments and practice materials. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help from your instructors if you are struggling with a particular concept. It's also helpful to create a study schedule and stay organized to ensure you are making the most of your time in the course.