Preparing for the Putnam Exam: Tips from a Math Club Member

In summary, the speaker is a member of their college's math club and recently took a mock Putnam exam, which is a two-part, three hour long test with recycled problems from old tests. They were then convinced to take the real Putnam exam in December and are seeking advice on how to prepare. The speaker's major is electrical engineering with a minor in physics, so they are wondering if the exam is open to non-math majors. The advice given is to use old problems and tests for preparation, as well as resources from the Mathematical Association of America (MAA). The speaker also mentions finding an archive of past Putnam exams.
jack476
I'm part of the math club at my college. Recently the professor who runs the club a mock Putnam exam using the same test format (two three hour sessions) with problems recycled from old tests. I didn't know exactly what I was walking into since by an odd coincidence "Putnam" also happens to be the name of a large-ish town near where my school is and I thought he was just playing off that, but anyway I ended up getting two full solutions and a partial solution for a third, so now they've talked me into taking the real thing this December.

How would one go about preparing? I've only been in anything even resembling a math competition once (SkillsUSA applied technical math), and that was years ago (although, I did win second in state for that one, for whatever it would be worth). And I'm not a math student, my major is electrical engineering with a physics minor, is it open to non-math majors?

Any advice at all would be nice...I have a year to get ready.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the Putnam exam?

The Putnam exam is an annual mathematics competition for undergraduate college students in the United States and Canada. It is considered one of the most prestigious and challenging mathematics competitions in North America.

Who can participate in the Putnam exam?

The Putnam exam is open to undergraduate college students in the United States and Canada. Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at their college or university and must have completed no more than four years of college education prior to the competition.

How can I prepare for the Putnam exam?

Preparing for the Putnam exam requires a strong foundation in mathematics. It is recommended to review topics in algebra, calculus, number theory, and geometry. Additionally, practicing with past Putnam exams and participating in a study group can also be helpful.

When is the Putnam exam held?

The Putnam exam is typically held on the first Saturday in December each year. The exact date and time may vary, so it is important to check with your college or university for the specific details.

What is the format of the Putnam exam?

The Putnam exam consists of two 3-hour sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Each session contains six challenging mathematical problems and students are expected to provide detailed written solutions. The exam is scored out of 120 points, with the top performers receiving recognition and prizes.