• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Preperation reading for a physics summer course

• Thread starter raam86
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,
As a prerequisite for Bsc in Physics+Math I have to take a summer course in physics since I do not have sufficient background for the course of studies.
My math background is high end high school level (complex numbers, trig', calculus etc')

However the scope of the course is : Kinematics (1 dimension, 2 dimensions), Dynamics (What is force, tension, Newtons' laws and Preservations laws (Momentum,Plastic and Elastic circulations,Work,Gravity,Preservation of energy) only.

I will not be able to get hold of the actual textbook used and in the course and I also thought a different perspective would be nice. My goal is to be some what familiar with the concepts and rigour I am about to encounter in a university level physics course.

Thanks,

Answers and Replies

Will Giancoli Physics Principles and applications 6th edition be suitable for my goal?
Also what do you think about this reading list as a mental preparation for college?

Carl.Sagan.-.The.Demon.Haunted.World.-.science.as.a.candle.in.the.dark
Euler_The.Master.Of.Us.All_Dunham
Godel Escher Bach.
Journey through Genius
B. Green-.Hidden.Reality.Parallel.Universe
RICHARD P. FEYNMAN-SURELY YOU'RE JOKING MR. FEYNMAN
The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow
The.Man.Who.Loved.Only.Numbers

I am also thinking about adding:
Prime_Obsession_Bernhard_Riemann_and_the_Greatest_Unsolved_Problem_in_Mathematics-J_Derbyshire
and Thinking in Systems by Meadows

I am mostly interested in preparing my mind and reason to handle the concepts then actually learning the concepts themselves, This is the reason I am paying those busters all that money!

Last edited:
any comments at all? Prime_Obsession is an amazing book. I think I will get into the golden braid later

Will Giancoli Physics Principles and applications 6th edition be suitable for my goal?
Also what do you think about this reading list as a mental preparation for college?

Carl.Sagan.-.The.Demon.Haunted.World.-.science.as.a.candle.in.the.dark
Euler_The.Master.Of.Us.All_Dunham
Godel Escher Bach.
Journey through Genius
B. Green-.Hidden.Reality.Parallel.Universe
RICHARD P. FEYNMAN-SURELY YOU'RE JOKING MR. FEYNMAN
The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow
The.Man.Who.Loved.Only.Numbers

I am also thinking about adding:
Prime_Obsession_Bernhard_Riemann_and_the_Greatest_Unsolved_Problem_in_Mathematics-J_Derbyshire
and Thinking in Systems by Meadows

I am mostly interested in preparing my mind and reason to handle the concepts then actually learning the concepts themselves, This is the reason I am paying those busters all that money!
I think Giancoli's Physics Principles book is more algebra based (rather than calculus based), so if you're going into physics, a book that would be more useful in the long run would be Giancoli's Physics for Scientists and Engineers (or something similar). The latter worked well for me.

Popular science books won't really be usefull in preparing for college. I mean by all means read them if you think they're interesting but don't expect them to prepare you for what you're gonna get in college.
I would recommend something that actually goes into quantitative analysis of physics. I don't have a lot of experience with different books though so I can't recommend anything specific.
Well maybe you could start with the first part of the Feynman lectures in physics or maybe Young and Freedman's "University Physics".

Feynman lectures! thanks