Pressure force in water on truncated cone with air inside

In summary, the conversation discusses a truncated cone tank submerged in water and the forces acting on it. The forces include buoyant force, weight, normal reaction, and pressure force. The correct expression for the pressure force is not clear, as it depends on whether the tank is making an airtight seal with the base. The net force of the water on the tank would be the usual buoyancy force minus the force that it would exert on the underside if it were to completely surround the tank. The equation that connects the total force from the water, the force from the water on the base, and the total force from the water on the tank is F_archimedes = F_net = F_up + F_w.
Soren4

Homework Statement

Consider the truncated cone tank submerged in water: inside the truncated cone tank there is air. Evaluate the forces acting on the truncated cone tank.

2q34567898765432.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The forces are the following
  • Boyuant force : $$F_b= \rho_w g V_{tank}$$
  • Weight $$P=m g $$
  • Normal reaction $$N$$
  • Pressure force
The problem is with pressure force. In the solution of the exercise such force is calculated as $$F_p=\rho_W g L \pi R_1^2$$ I do not understand the reason of that ##R_1##. The water is distributed along the tank and, for istance, the upper face (of radius ##R_2##) is at a different pressure because it's higher.

I would have calculated it as follows.
$$F_p= F_{p \, on \, upper \, face}+F_{p \, on \, sides \, , y \, component}$$With ##F_{p \, on \, upper \, face}=\rho_W g (L-h) \pi R_2^2## and ##F_{p \, on \, sides \, , y \, component}= \int p(y) dS## (the last integral is for a force on a curved submerged surface so it is not very easy to calculate)

So what is the correct expression for the pressure force on the tank?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is wrong. Fund of pressure force is Acchimede force or Boyuant force. Acchimede force is creaced by the difference between the up and down of object
So you don't need to find pressure force

Hamal_Arietis said:
It is wrong. Fund of pressure force is Acchimede force or Boyuant force. Acchimede force is creaced by the difference between the up and down of object
So you don't need to find pressure force
That is not in general true, and is not true here. Archimedes' principle only works when the liquid completely surrounds the object. In the present case it does not exert any pressure on the underside, so the net force of the water on the tank is the usual buoyancy force minus the force that it would exert on the underside if it were to completely surround the tank.
On the other hand, there is air in the tank, so instead of a pressure ρwgL+patmos acting on the underside we have a pressure pair. Unfortunately, we are not told what that pressure is. If the tank is making an airtight seal with the base it could be anything up to ρwgL+patmos.

@Soren4, your integral is correct and should produce the same answer, but as you can see, there is an easier way.

Likes Soren4
haruspex said:
That is not in general true, and is not true here. Archimedes' principle only works when the liquid completely surrounds the object. In the present case it does not exert any pressure on the underside, so the net force of the water on the tank is the usual buoyancy force minus the force that it would exert on the underside if it were to completely surround the tank.
On the other hand, there is air in the tank, so instead of a pressure ρwgL+patmos acting on the underside we have a pressure pair. Unfortunately, we are not told what that pressure is. If the tank is making an airtight seal with the base it could be anything up to ρwgL+patmos.

Thanks for the answer! Yes it acts as a suction cup. But there surely is a force exerted on the tank because of the water above it and that's the pressure force I would like to know. Is the expression ##F_p= \rho_W g L \pi R_1^2## correct in this case?

Soren4 said:
Thanks for the answer! Yes it acts as a suction cup. But there surely is a force exerted on the tank because of the water above it and that's the pressure force I would like to know. Is the expression ##F_p= \rho_W g L \pi R_1^2## correct in this case?
No, that's not it.
Start with this: suppose it were not acting as a suction cup, i.e. the tank is a closed container and the water is all around it (though in an arbitrarily thin layer underneath it). What would the net force of the water on the tank be?

Likes Soren4
haruspex said:
No, that's not it.
Start with this: suppose it were not acting as a suction cup, i.e. the tank is a closed container and the water is all around it (though in an arbitrarily thin layer underneath it). What would the net force of the water on the tank be?

Ok! Well in that case the pressure would act above, on the sides and below the tank and the resulting force would be the bouyant force I guess

The problem here is that the pressure is acting only above and on the sides and I cannot see the way to calculate the force..

Soren4 said:
Ok! Well in that case the pressure would act above, on the sides and below the tank and the resulting force would be the bouyant force I guess

The problem here is that the pressure is acting only above and on the sides and I cannot see the way to calculate the force..
Suppose the total force from the water is Fw (i.e. acting on top and sides), and the force that would act from the water on the base of the tank, if there were water there, is Fup.
Suppose further that the total force from the water on the tank, if there were water all around the tank, would be Fnet. What equation connects those three? How do any of them relate to Archimedes' "weight of water displaced" buoyancy force?

Likes Soren4
haruspex said:
Suppose the total force from the water is Fw (i.e. acting on top and sides), and the force that would act from the water on the base of the tank, if there were water there, is Fup.
Suppose further that the total force from the water on the tank, if there were water all around the tank, would be Fnet. What equation connects those three? How do any of them relate to Archimedes' "weight of water displaced" buoyancy force?

Thanks a lot for your help! I would say that the relation is ##\vec{F}_{Archimedes}= \vec{F}_{net}= \vec{F}_{up} + \vec{F}_W##, so, if this is right, then I can get what I'm looking for, ##\vec{F}_W##, as ##\vec{F}_W=\vec{F}_{net}-\vec{F}_{up}=\rho_W V g - \rho_W g L \pi R_1^2##.

But in the problem ##\vec{F}_{Archimedes}## and ##\vec{F}_W## are considered completely separetly from each other so I'm not sure this would be correct..

Soren4 said:
Thanks a lot for your help! I would say that the relation is ##\vec{F}_{Archimedes}= \vec{F}_{net}= \vec{F}_{up} + \vec{F}_W##, so, if this is right, then I can get what I'm looking for, ##\vec{F}_W##, as ##\vec{F}_W=\vec{F}_{net}-\vec{F}_{up}=\rho_W V g - \rho_W g L \pi R_1^2##.
That's almost right, but you need to consider that the water pressure at the bottom of the container has a contribution from atmospheric pressure.

Likes Soren4

1. What is pressure force in water on a truncated cone with air inside?

The pressure force in water on a truncated cone with air inside is the force exerted by the water on the surface of the cone due to the weight of the water above it. This force is caused by the pressure of the water pushing down on the cone.

2. How is pressure force in water on a truncated cone with air inside calculated?

The pressure force in water on a truncated cone with air inside can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where F is the pressure force, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the water above the cone, and A is the surface area of the cone.

3. How does the shape of the truncated cone affect the pressure force in water?

The shape of the truncated cone affects the pressure force in water because it determines the surface area of the cone, which is a factor in the calculation of the pressure force. A larger surface area will result in a higher pressure force.

4. What role does the air inside the truncated cone play in the pressure force in water?

The air inside the truncated cone affects the pressure force in water because it changes the overall density of the cone. The presence of air decreases the overall density, which in turn can decrease the pressure force.

5. How can the pressure force in water on a truncated cone with air inside be used in practical applications?

The pressure force in water on a truncated cone with air inside can be used in various practical applications, such as determining the stability of a floating object or calculating the force on a submarine at different depths. It is also important in understanding the effects of pressure on underwater structures and equipment.