1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure in a Rectangular Tank

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1

1. A rectangular tank 2.0 m by 2.0 m by 3.5 m high contains gasoline, with a density of 0.68E3 kg/m3, to a depth of 2.5 m. What is the gauge pressure anywhere 1.2 m below the surface of the gasoline?

2. P=Ps + Pl Pl=density (g) (h)

3. I'm sure this is an easy problem, but I don't know where I am going wrong. I set Ps to atmospheric pressure at 1.013 E5 and Pl = .68 E3 (9.81) (2.5). I added Ps and Pl together to get 1.18 E5, but this is incorrect. Please help out if you can. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

I found a new formula. P = Pa + Pg. My question is: when I use P= density x gravity x height, what value do I enter for the height? 3.5 or 2.5? Thanks
  4. Nov 12, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Neither. You'd use the depth below the surface of the fluid. (That formula gives the pressure due to the weight of the fluid, which in this case is the gauge pressure.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?