Pressure in side a bag, that has been microwaved: Problem 12.19

• Thread starter laxmanic33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, a flexible bag with 16g of liquid water is sealed and placed in a microwave where the water is boiled to make steam at 100 deg Cel. The volume of the bag after all the water has boiled can be found by determining the number of moles of water and using the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT, assuming atmospheric pressure. The solutions given were 0.016, 0.0013, and 16, but it is not remembered how they were obtained. Additionally, it was suggested to use moles to calculate the volume of the gas.
laxmanic33

Homework Statement

16g of liquid water is placed in a flexible bag, the air is excluded, and the bag is sealed. It is then placed in a microwave oven where the water is boiled to make steam at 100 deg Cel. What is the volume of the bag after all the water has boiled? Assume that the pressure inside the bag is equal to atmospheric pressure.

Homework Equations

I don't know...

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the solutions i got, but i don't remember how, i did this problem before i left for break, and now I am back, a month later:

0.016, 0.0013, 16

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about moles (not the furry kind) ?

How many moles of water in 16g?
Then use PV = nRT to get the volume of the gas.

thanks man, i actually understood that

What is the cause of the pressure inside a bag after microwaving it?

The pressure inside a bag after microwaving it is caused by the expansion of air molecules inside the bag due to the increase in temperature.

Why does the pressure increase when a bag is microwaved?

When a bag is microwaved, the air inside is heated, causing the air molecules to move faster and take up more space, resulting in an increase in pressure inside the bag.

Can the pressure inside a bag be dangerous?

In most cases, the pressure inside a bag after microwaving is not dangerous. However, if the bag is sealed tightly and heated for too long, there is a risk of the bag bursting or exploding, which can cause burns or other injuries.

How can I safely release the pressure inside a bag after microwaving it?

To safely release the pressure inside a bag after microwaving it, carefully open the bag and allow the steam to escape before fully opening the bag. It is important to use caution and not to touch the bag or its contents immediately after microwaving as they may still be hot.

Is it safe to microwave a bag with a high-pressure content?

It is not recommended to microwave a bag with a high-pressure content, such as a sealed container or a can, as the pressure inside can cause the container to burst or explode. It is important to always follow the instructions on the packaging before microwaving any food or object.