1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure of a sting of mosquito

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    It seems like a simple question, with a simple equation, however, what is force of pressure of a sting of a mosquito on the human skin? Does it possible to evaluate, because I haven't found ANY required data, even though, I have a formula P=F/A

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #2
    It sounds like a "back of the envelope" problem. Estimation! How much force do you think a mosquito is capable of? Why? How much area do you think it's pointy mouth acts on?

4. Mar 26, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does it ask for the force or the pressure?

5. Mar 26, 2017 #4

lewando

Gold Member

There is a nice paper on the subject: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18779629

Paywalled unfortunately. However if you google it hard enough you can find the full text. I don't want to post anything not appropriate here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted