1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure on a window of a submarine

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a research submarine has a 20 cm diameter window 8 cm think. the manufacturer says the window van withstand forces up to 1x106N. What is the submarine's maximum safe depth?

2. Relevant equations
    p = po + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd

3. The attempt at a solution
    p = F/A = 1X106 / 0.03 = 3.2x107 Pa

so now do i use p = po + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd ??

but if i do what would be my [tex]\rho[/tex]?
    [tex]\rho[/tex] = m/v = m/[tex]\pi[/tex]r2h
    how would i find mass?

thanks in advance for help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2
    ok so i solved it with the help of a different post but i had a question:
    she does p' = p1 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd
    p' - p1 = [tex]\rho[/tex]gd

and then she says that p1 = 1x105 Pa > atmospheric pressure. I was just wondering why?

can someone explain how
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]p = p1 - po relates or is used in conjunction with p' = p1 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd? is [tex]\Delta[/tex]p = p'

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    anyone??

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4
    i really just cant seem to wrap my head around pressure concepts, if someone knows how to explain it clearly or knows a website where i can see examples and stuff that would be great!

6. Dec 3, 2009 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

it gets confusing with so many different letter variables like [tex] p, p_1, p_o, p', \rho [/tex] (and Pa for Paschals to boot), so let's define the variables:

let

[tex]p_o [/tex] = atmospheric pressure = 1.01(10^5) Paschals
    [tex] p [/tex] = total pressure at depth d
    [tex] \rho [/tex] = density of water = 1000kg/m^3)

Now when the top of the water is not sealed off (that is, it is exposed to the atmosphere),
    [tex]p = p_o + \rho gd[/tex], that is , the total pressure at depth d is the sum total of the atmospheric pressure and the water pressure at that depth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook