Pressure with Depth; understanding Apparatus

In summary, the canister on the right is open to the air, the column on the left is closed, but the top is filled with air and the bottom is filled with water. the canister has water in it as well. You can calculate the air pressure in the closed column using this setup by assuming you know the heights and everything else.
AdkinsJr
This isn't a textbook problem, I just need some help understanding this apparatus. I attached a crude sketch...

The canister on the right is open to the air, the column on the left is closed, but the top is filled with air and the bottom is filled with water. the canister has water in it as well. How can you calculate the air pressure in the closed column using this setup? Presume you know the heights and everything...

Pressure variations with depth...

P=P_o+pgh

Attachments

• pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure in the closed part has to balance the pressure in the air plus the weight of the column of water.
I suspect it would hep you if you adjusted the system so the water is only in the connecting tube.

Thanks. That helped. I attached another image for the case where the water level in the canister is at a height "h" below the water level in the column. I also labeled the key points A, B, and C... I want to write an equation for the air pressure in the column, [tex]P_{air}[/tex] which is closed to the atmosphere...

Basically I think the pressure at B must equal the pressure at C, which should be atmospheric pressure:

[tex]P_B=P_{atm}[/tex]

I can also write:

[tex]P_B=P_{air}+ρgh[/tex]

these equations together imply:

[tex]P_{air}=P_{atm}-ρgh[/tex]

Is this true? The ρ constant is the density of water.

Attachments

• below water level.jpg
    below water level.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
AdkinsJr said:
Thanks. That helped. I attached another image for the case where the water level in the canister is at a height "h" below the water level in the column. I also labeled the key points A, B, and C... I want to write an equation for the air pressure in the column, [tex]P_{air}[/tex] which is closed to the atmosphere...

Basically I think the pressure at B must equal the pressure at C, which should be atmospheric pressure:
[tex]P_B=P_{atm}[/tex]I can also write:
[tex]P_B=P_{air}+ρgh[/tex]these equations together imply:
[tex]P_{air}=P_{atm}-ρgh[/tex]Is this true? The ρ constant is the density of water.
You're missing the attachment.

That might help, it's added.

That looks good -- both the figure & the equations.

Don't forget, by changing the vertical position of the open canister, you will be changing the pressure of the air in the column.

Ok, I have another follow up question, if the water level in the canister is h meters ABOVE the water level in the column, then the air pressure in the tube is:

[tex]P_{air}=P_{atm}+pgh[/tex]

If it's below, the pressure is:

[tex]P_{air}=P_{atm}-pgh[/tex]

So it decreases the pressure to lower the canister? So as I lower the canister, it will cause the water level to lower as well?

Yes.

:) also see "constant volume gas thermometer".
It's a standard, and historically important, bit of scientific apparatus.

What is pressure with depth?

Pressure with depth is the measurement of the amount of force exerted on a certain area as a result of the weight of a fluid above it. As depth increases, the pressure also increases.

How is pressure with depth measured?

Pressure with depth is typically measured using a device called a pressure gauge. This device uses a diaphragm or piston to measure the force exerted by the fluid on a given area. The pressure can then be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

What factors affect pressure with depth?

The main factors that affect pressure with depth include the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the depth of the fluid. The greater the density of the fluid, the higher the pressure will be. Similarly, the higher the acceleration due to gravity and the deeper the fluid, the greater the pressure will be.

What is an apparatus used to measure pressure with depth?

There are several different types of apparatus that can be used to measure pressure with depth, including manometers, barometers, and hydrostatic pressure sensors. These devices use different methods to measure pressure and can be used in various applications.

Why is understanding pressure with depth important?

Understanding pressure with depth is important in a variety of fields including oceanography, meteorology, and engineering. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of fluids in different environments, such as in bodies of water or in pressurized systems. It also helps us to design and maintain structures that can withstand varying pressures at different depths.