Pretty easy, just want someone to verify I have the right answer

  • Thread starter Thread starter laurenbaboran
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
laurenbaboran
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Pretty easy, just want someone to verify I have the right answer:)

Homework Statement



A worker pushes downward and to the left on the box at an angle of 35°.

The box weighs 135 kg and moves horizontally across the floor to the left at a constant velocity.



Homework Equations


15. What is the value of the friction force?
a.1164 N
b.1663 N
c.2489 N
d.1324 N


16. What is the value of the acceleration of the box?
a. 6.7 m/s2
b. 0 m/s2
c. 18.4 m/s2
d. 12.3 m/s2





The Attempt at a Solution


I worked out the numbers and arrived at 1324 for the first one and 6.7 for the second, but I would love for someone to verify this before I submit it :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think there is enough information to answer 15. For 16, what does "constant velocity" imply?
 
What?The angle which you gave is from horizontal or vertical?..And if the block moves horizontally across the floor to the left at a constant velocity,then how can it have acceleration?(Direction of velocity is also not changing so no production of acceleration due to change in direction of velocity)..Rephrase the question and check your answers?
 
You are right

voko said:
I do not think there is enough information to answer 15. For 16, what does "constant velocity" imply?

You are right.The magnitude of applied force is missing.
Just asking that if the force applied is given then shouldn't the x-component of the applied force be equal to the frictional force if the block is not accelerated?
 
μs=0.4
μk=o.2. My bad for leaving that out. Does that help?
 
Princu said:
Just asking that if the force applied is given then shouldn't the x-component of the applied force be equal to the frictional force if the block is not accelerated?

It should, but we are not given the magnitude of the applied force, nor the coefficient of friction. Knowing either one would make the problem determinate.
 
laurenbaboran said:
μs=0.4
μk=o.2. My bad for leaving that out. Does that help?
It may solve..working on it.but tell the angle
 
Last edited: