The value of the friction force

In summary, the worker applies a force of 2030 N∠215° downward and to the left on a box with a mass of 135 kg. The box moves horizontally at a constant velocity to the left. To find the value of the friction force, the equation Ffriction + Fgravityx = m · a can be used, where Fgravityx is equal to 759.6 N. The correct answer is c. 1663 N. However, it is unclear what the angles 35° and 215° represent and if the worker and the man are the same person.
HazelDryad

Homework Statement

The worker pushes downward and to the left on the box at an angle of 35°. The box has a mass of 135 kg. The box moves horizontally across the floor to the left at a constant velocity. The force applied by the man is 2030 N∠215°. What is the value of the friction force?

Homework Equations

Fgravity · sin35° = Fgravityx
Ffriction + Fgravityx = m · a
f = μ · Fs

The Attempt at a Solution

sin35° =
Fgravity · sin35° = Fgravityx
m · g · sin35° = Fgravityx
(135 kg)(9.81) sin35° = Fgravityx
759.6 N = Fgravityx

Ffriction + (759.6 N) = (135 kg)(0 m/s2)
Ffriction - 759.6 N = 0 N
Ffriction = 759.6 N

I know that this isn't correct, because my study guide is multiple choice. My options are:
a. 1164 N
b. 1324 N
c. 1663 N
d. 2489 N

I'm really not sure what I'm missing or if I am going the wrong way with finding the value of the friction force. My guess is that c. 1663 N is correct, but that is only a guess. I'd like to be able to prove which answer it is. Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The worker pushes downward and to the left on the box at an angle of 35°
The force applied by the man is 2030 N∠215°

Can you explain what are these two angles? Whether the worker and the man are the same person?

What is friction force?

Friction force is a force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface.

How is friction force measured?

Friction force can be measured using a device called a force sensor, which measures the amount of force required to overcome the friction between two objects.

What factors affect the value of friction force?

The value of friction force is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants.

Why is friction force important?

Friction force plays a crucial role in everyday life, as it allows us to walk, drive, and grip objects. It also helps to prevent objects from sliding or slipping.

How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces in contact. Smoother surfaces and reducing the force applied can also decrease friction force.