1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three blocks newtons law help have I got my answers and sign correct ?

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    Three blocks, each of mass 7.0 kg are on a frictionless table. A hand pushes on the left most box (A) such that the three boxes accelerate in the positive horizontal direction as shown at a rate of a = 1.1 m/s2.

What is the net horizontal force on block B? =15.4 N
    What is the horizontal force on block B due to block C?= -7.7N

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful. They want the net force, not the force that A exerts on B.
    Good, but just say 7.7 N. (Block C exerts a force of 7.7 N on Block B--and vice versa.)

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3
    wouldnt it be -7.7 because of negative direction

so is the horizontal force on block B 7.7 ?

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Just give the magnitude of the force.

Yes, that's the net horizontal force on B.

6. Jan 22, 2013 #5
    in the same problem i had a question
    What is the horizontal force on block A due to block B?
    i got -15.4 and I got it right
    so how come that one can be -15.4 and this one is just 7.7

7. Jan 22, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Each of the three must have a net force of +7.7N. The "horizontal force on block A due to block B" is somewhat ambiguous, but it seems they mean the actual force exerted by B on A. As far as A is concerned it is pushing B and C, so the force between A and B must be enough to accelerate both B and C at 1.1m/s2.

8. Jan 23, 2013 #7

Doc Al

OK. So apparently they want you to include the direction (via the sign), and they are taking positive to mean 'to the right'.
    I assume you are talking about "What is the horizontal force on block B due to block C?". Using the same convention as above, that force would have to be negative as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook