Prime Subfiellds - Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3 ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the discussion revolves around Proposition 7.1.3 in Chapter 7 of "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett. The proposition addresses the structure of a set of elements under a defined multiplication operation and its relation to the field ##\mathbb{F}_p = \mathbb{Z} / p \mathbb{Z}##. The conversation delves into the question of how this subfield can be equal to ##\mathbb{Z} / p \mathbb{Z}##, given its inclusion of elements like ##1/2## and ##3/5##. The expert summarizer explains that this is possible because a field's characteristic must be either zero or
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 7: Field Extensions ... ...

I need help with the proof of, or at least some remarks concerning, Proposition 7.1.3 ...Proposition 7.1.3 plus some introductory remarks (proof?) reads as follows:
?temp_hash=02da1cdefd37f0c81dd87c9714486c3e.png

In the above text from Lovett we read the following:"... ... However, the multiplication on these elements as defined by distributivity gives this set of elements the structure of ##\mathbb{F}_p = \mathbb{Z} / p \mathbb{Z}##. ... ... " ... ... BUT ... the subfield contains elements ##0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, \ ... \ ... \ (p -1)##... and being a field, it contains divisions of these elements such as ##1/2, 3/5 \ ... \ ... \ ...##... so how can this subfield be equal to ##\mathbb{Z} / p \mathbb{Z}## ... ... ?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Lovett - Proposition 7.1.3 - Prime Subfield ... ....png
    Lovett - Proposition 7.1.3 - Prime Subfield ... ....png
    40.2 KB · Views: 612
Physics news on Phys.org
The missing piece is that a field's characteristic must be either zero or a prime number, otherwise there will be divisors of zero (can you see why?), which would disqualify ##F## from being a field. We then use the theorem that ##\mathbb Z_p## is a field for ##p## prime, so that the fractions you listed are all modular integers in ##\mathbb Z_p##. For instance ##1/2=3## in ##\mathbb Z_5## and ##3/5=2## in ##\mathbb Z_7##.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for the help Andrew ...

Just reflecting on what you have said ...

However, can you give me an indication of how exactly we can demonstrate that ##1/2 = 3## in ##\mathbb{Z}_5## and ##3/5 = 2## in ##\mathbb{Z}_7## ...

Then I will get an idea of what is going on ...

Peter

For the first one, ##3\times 2=6 = 5+1##, so that ##3_5\times 2_5=1_5## where the 5 subscript denotes 'mod 5' (technically speaking, ##k_p## denotes ##k+p\mathbb Z##).

Similarly, ##2\times 5=10=7+3##, so that ##2_7\times 5_7=3_7##.

A good way of thinking of it is as a clock, with the numbers 0 to p-1 marked around the outside. and a single hand. Asking 'what is 1 / 2 mod 5' is the same as asking what rotation (past how many marked numbers) must I perform 2 times, starting at 0, to end up at 1?

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ... really appreciate your help ..

Peter

What is Prime Subfields?

Prime Subfields refers to a concept in abstract algebra where a field is constructed using a minimal set of elements called a prime field. This prime field is used as a base to build larger fields by adding or multiplying elements.

What is Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3?

Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3 is a mathematical proposition proposed by mathematician Robert Lovett, which states that every finite field has a unique prime subfield. This proposition is an important theorem in the study of finite fields.

How is Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3 useful?

Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3 is useful in understanding the structure and properties of finite fields. It allows mathematicians to identify and construct prime subfields in finite fields, which aids in further analysis and applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other fields of mathematics.

Is Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3 proven?

Yes, Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3 has been proven to be true. It is a well-known and accepted theorem in the field of abstract algebra and has been used in various mathematical proofs and applications.

Are there any real-world applications of Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of Lovett, Proposition 7.1.3. Some examples include its use in error-correcting codes, digital signature schemes, and elliptic curve cryptography. This proposition has also been used to study and understand the properties of finite fields in computer science and engineering.