Primes as roots of same function

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a function whose roots are the prime numbers, using the equation f(x)=\prod_{p}(1-xp^{-s})=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{\mu(n)}{n^{s}}x^{n}. However, the function \mu(x) is not computable and there may be a need for exponential terms in order for the function to converge. Additionally, there is a disagreement about the proof of the equation \prod_{p}(1-xp^{-s})^{-1}=Li_{s}(x) and its validity for certain values of x.
eljose
It,s proven that there can not be any Polynomial that gives all the primes..but could exist a function to its roots are precisely the primes 8or related to them) if we write:

[tex] f(x)=\prod_{p}(1-xp^{-s})=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{\mu(n)}{n^{s}}x^{n} [/tex]

wher for x=1 you get the classical relationship between the Riemann zeta function and the product of primes as you can see the equation above for x=p^{s} for p prime is 0 the problem is that due to we have to know the function \mu(x) this function is not computable using Abel,s sum formula:

[tex] ln[f(s)]/s=x\int_{2}^{\infty}dt\frac{\pi(t)}{t(t^{s}-x)} [/tex]

and although is not perhaps completely correct i think [tex] f(x)=x/Li_{s}(x) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think f(x) doesn't converge at all, except at x = 0. (I was interested in a similar expression once, but I wanted zeroes at all the positive integers)

So, I suspect you'll need some exponential terms to get something that converges. Maybe something like:

[tex]
\prod_{i = 1}^{+\infty} (1 - x / p_i) e^{x / p_i}
[/tex]

The general exponential term in an infinite product can be more complicated, but the simplest nontrivial term was good enough for my purposes.

well using the same trick by Euler..i managed to prove that:

[tex] \prod_{p}(1-xp^{-s})^{-1}=Li_{s}(x) [/tex]

where necessarily [tex] |xp^{-s}|<1 [/tex]and LI is the Polylogarithm..if we extend the radius of convergence of Polylogarithm to |x|>1 we could get that p^{s} for p prime is a root of the function 1/Li for a certain s.

eljose said:
well using the same trick by Euler..i managed to prove that:

[tex] \prod_{p}(1-xp^{-s})^{-1}=Li_{s}(x) [/tex]

I don't think you did. Take x=0, the left hand side will be 1, the right hand side will be 0.

If you expand the terms of the left hand side using geometric series, you get a product over primes of sums 1+(x/p^s)+(x/p^s)^2+... If you expand this product (taking care when this is valid), the power of x that appears with 1/n^s is not in general going to be n like you would need to equal the polylogarithm. It will be the sum of the exponents appearing in the prime decomposition of n.

1. What does it mean for a prime number to be a root of a function?

A root of a function is a value that, when substituted into the function, makes the output equal to zero. A prime number being a root of a function means that when it is substituted into the function, the output is equal to zero.

2. Can any prime number be a root of a function?

Yes, any prime number can be a root of a function. However, not all functions will have prime numbers as roots.

3. Are there any patterns or relationships between prime roots and functions?

There are some patterns and relationships that have been discovered between prime roots and functions, but it is an ongoing area of research and not all patterns have been fully explained.

4. How are prime roots used in mathematics and science?

Prime roots are used in various mathematical and scientific applications. For example, they are used in cryptography, number theory, and in the study of polynomials and their roots.

5. Is there a limit to the number of prime roots a function can have?

No, there is no limit to the number of prime roots a function can have. However, the number of prime roots a function has is dependent on the type and complexity of the function.