Principal Ideal, Polynomial generators

In summary: You can do this by showing that there is no polynomial of degree greater than g in I that generates f(x). This is a straightforward proof, as every polynomial of degree greater than g in I will generate at least one other polynomial in I. So if there is a polynomial of degree greater than g in I that generates f(x), then there must be a polynomial of degree less than g in I that generates f(x). But this is impossible, as every polynomial of degree less than g in I will generate at least one other polynomial in I. So g is of minimal degree.
nugget

Homework Statement

Suppose R is an integral domain and I is a principal ideal in R[x], and I [itex]\neq[/itex] {0}

a) Show I = <g(x)> for some g(x)[itex]\in[/itex]R[x] that has minimal degree among all non-zero polynomials in I.

b) Is it necessarily true that I = <g(x)> for every g(x)[itex]\in[/itex]R[x] that has minimal degree among all non-zero polynomials in I?

Homework Equations

Theorems, the division algorithm.

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) we can take a g(x) of minimal degree as our generator; if deg(g) = 0, then g(x) is a unit in I and I = R[x], so we can assume deg(g)[itex]\geq[/itex]1

Now we let f(x)[itex]\in[/itex]I and apply the division algorithm.

f = qg + r, where q,r[itex]\in[/itex]R[x] and deg(r)<deg(g)

This means that r = f - qg which is an element of I. By our choice of g having minimal degree, this means that r = 0. Otherwise r would be an element of I, and could be written as r = pg, p[itex]\in[/itex]R[x]. (I'm not quite sure how best to explain the reasoning behind the fact that r must equal 0)

finishing the proof after this is fine.

b) I'm confused for this question, but I assume its a contradiction type answer, although I can't imagine a g(x) that wouldn't generate a principal ideal...

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
nugget said:
if deg(g) = 0, then g(x) is a unit in I

Why??

Now we let f(x)[itex]\in[/itex]I and apply the division algorithm.

f = qg + r, where q,r[itex]\in[/itex]R[x] and deg(r)<deg(g)

Did you prove that the division algorithm holds when R is simply an integral domain?

b) I'm confused for this question, but I assume its a contradiction type answer, although I can't imagine a g(x) that wouldn't generate a principal ideal...

Consider [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and take the ideal generated by X+2. Then 2X+4 is in the ideal and is of minimal degree.

Hey,

regarding that deg(g)=0 bit, I guess I just assumed that a constant would be a unit in I. This would only be the case if R was a field, right?

Now I'm really confused for this question too; don't know how to prove the division algorithm, let alone for an integral domain.

I think I understand what you're saying for b)

Z is an integral domain so we can use that for R. b) is not true because <x+2> generates I and is of minimal degree, but <2x+4> can't generate I (it can't generate x+2, as Z doesn't contain fractions) but is also of minimal degree. Hence not every g(x) in R[x] of minimal degree generates I.

The trick for (a) is that you already know that I is principal. That is, you already know that I=<g(x)> for some g. The only thing you need to prove is that g is of minimal degree.

What is a principal ideal?

A principal ideal is a type of ideal in abstract algebra that is generated by a single element. This element is called the generator of the ideal and is typically denoted by a single variable, such as x. Principal ideals are important because they allow us to understand more complex ideals by breaking them down into simpler components.

What are polynomial generators?

Polynomial generators are elements that are used to generate ideals in polynomial rings. These are typically polynomials with coefficients in a given ring. For example, in the polynomial ring Z[x], the polynomial 2x+1 is a polynomial generator.

Why are principal ideals useful?

Principal ideals are useful because they allow us to easily manipulate and understand more complex ideals. They also provide a way to determine whether an ideal is principal or not, which can provide important insights into the structure of a given ring.

What is the relationship between principal ideals and polynomial generators?

In polynomial rings, principal ideals are generated by polynomial generators. This means that every principal ideal can be expressed as a multiple of a single polynomial. Conversely, every polynomial generator generates a principal ideal in the corresponding polynomial ring.

How are principal ideals and polynomial generators used in real-world applications?

Principal ideals and polynomial generators have many applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and algebraic geometry. They are used to study the structure of rings and fields and have practical applications in error-correcting codes, data encryption, and solving polynomial equations.