Principle quantum number n of the excited state

In summary, the principle quantum number n represents the energy level of an electron in an atom's excited state and is directly proportional to the energy of the electron. It cannot have a value of 0 and determines the number of subshells in an atom. It also cannot exceed the number of electrons in an atom's shell.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See image below
Relevant Equations
Rydberg equation
Here is a question I have been given

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 13.53.59.png

I have started by setting up the formula and rearranging for n_2

IMG_4366.jpg

Only problem is that I do not know the quantum number for ground state? What value do I sub in for n_1?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ground state is ##n=1## by definition.

Likes Bolter
kuruman said:
Ground state is ##n=1## by definition.

Thanks I thought it would be zero but that wouldn't work at all. I get n_2 to be roughly 3 which seems right

1. What is the principle quantum number n?

The principle quantum number n is a quantum number that describes the energy level and size of an electron's orbital in an atom. It is denoted by the letter "n" and can have integer values ranging from 1 to infinity.

2. How does the principle quantum number n relate to the energy of an electron?

The principle quantum number n is directly proportional to the energy of an electron. This means that as the value of n increases, the energy of the electron also increases. This is because electrons in higher energy levels are farther away from the nucleus and have more energy.

3. What is the significance of the principle quantum number n in electron configuration?

The principle quantum number n determines the energy level and size of an electron's orbital, which in turn affects the electron's behavior and chemical properties. The arrangement of electrons in different energy levels is known as the electron configuration and is an important factor in determining the chemical properties of an atom.

4. How does the principle quantum number n change in an excited state?

In an excited state, an electron absorbs energy and jumps to a higher energy level. This results in an increase in the value of the principle quantum number n. For example, if an electron in the ground state has n=1, it may jump to the n=2 or n=3 energy level in an excited state.

5. Can the principle quantum number n have a fraction or negative value?

No, the principle quantum number n can only have positive integer values. This is because it represents the number of energy levels an electron can occupy, and it is not possible to have a fraction or negative number of energy levels.