Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pro-Science Moderates Regain Control of Kansas School Board

1. Aug 2, 2006 #1
    The anti-science school board took some pretty nasty hits from last night's primaries. Pro-science incumbent Janet Waugh kept her seat, while Connie Morris and Iris Van Meter's replacement (son-in-law Brad Patzer) were both eliminated. 2 anti-science board members did make it to the November election, but I'm not sure they'll make it through the real election.

Long story short, Pro-Science has a 6-4 majority on the Kansas Board of Education, and could possibly have an 8-2 majority after November. This round of madness is over!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2006 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Yay!

it looked like a hard fight there.

how's the chemistry major going?

4. Aug 2, 2006 #3
    Four out of ten are total incompetent idiots! And in a powerful position of science education! That's not a success story, that's a travesty, and it's simply awful that our expectations have gotten low enough to think it was anything else. :grumpy:

5. Aug 2, 2006 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

maybe that's what political victory looks like

I'll buy it. 6-to-4 sure looks better than 4-to-6

but I think I understand where you are coming from

6. Aug 2, 2006 #5
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  7. Aug 2, 2006 #6
    Ha. I wish this could mean I could focus on real science, but I have to bury this movement before it starts to smell and we find ourselves in this situation again.

8. Aug 2, 2006 #7
  9. Aug 2, 2006 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have seen these in other places. The ones I saw were alfalfa fields. They were circular because the irrigation set up had a pivot in the center and was a pipe that rotated around the field.

10. Aug 2, 2006 #9
  11. Aug 2, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

12. Aug 2, 2006 #11
    Oops! I fixed it, the elevator link got its own thread.

13. Aug 2, 2006 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

gosh i'll kind of miss those zealots on the kansas school board. i sent some of them some emails on the topic a while back and got some entertainment out of it.

perhaps you have seen the flying spaghetti monster link that argued the school board was discriminating against adherents of the FSM by not teaching their version of the creation too?

http://www.venganza.org/

they offer nice t shirts, but they will be passe now.

14. Aug 2, 2006 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i particularly liked the graph showing the inverse relationship between global warming and number of active pirates in the world.

15. Aug 2, 2006 #14

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

on second thought i was reminded by rereading the website that some decent people are offended even by obviously harmless humor. so maybe it is a poor idea to publicize it too much.

i dislike offending people for their ideas, well except maybe when they are trying to force their uninformed ideas into what is taught in science class and make it primitive religion class.

16. Aug 2, 2006 #15

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

17. Aug 2, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

18. Aug 2, 2006 #17
    In the NYT article it mentioned "a teacher from Liberal". It looked like a typo, then I thought to myself, is there actually a city called "Liberal, Kansas"? So I searched for it in google maps. Turns out there is in fact a Liberal, Kansas, and it's presumably quite conservative at that. Then I noticed the crop circles surrounding it.

19. Aug 2, 2006 #18

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Be nice --- they'll cut off your helium.

20. Aug 2, 2006 #19
    And your beef, wheat, corn, and airplanes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?