1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilities for system of two bosons

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1
    If there are two indistinguishable bosons that can either be in the |0> or |1> state, what is the probability that both will be in the |0> state? (ie the system will be in the |0>|0> state)

I know there are only three possibilities for the total state of the system: |0>|0>, |1>|1>, and (1/sqrt2)(|0>|1>+|1>|0>), but are these states equally probable? (I'm assuming that a single boson has an equal probability of being in either |0> or |1>) Would the probability of being in |0>|0> just be 1/3? or is it more complicated than that?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Call the three states

[tex]|00\rangle,\;|11\rangle,\;\hbox{and}\;|S\rangle \equiv{\textstyle{1\over\sqrt2}}\bigl(|01\rangle+|10\rangle\bigr).[/tex]

Then the most general state of the two particles is

[tex]a|00\rangle+b|11\rangle+c|S\rangle[/tex]

with [itex]|a|^2+|b|^2+|c|^2=1[/itex].

What can you deduce about [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], and [itex]c[/itex] from the requirement that each particle be equally likely to be in [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] or [itex]|1\rangle[/itex]?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  4. Dec 7, 2008 #3
    Well, I guess if a=b=c, then they'd each have to be 1/sqrt3... unless we also have to take into account the 1/sqrt2 factor in front of |S>?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?