• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Probability - Conditional Expectation

My professor explained this concept absolutely horribly and I have no idea how to do these problems.

Let A and B be independent Poisson random variables with parameters α and β, respectively. Find the conditional expectation of A given A + B = c.
(Hint: For discrete random variables, there is no conditional density. Use the definition of conditional probability.)

Attempt:
Starting with the definition, f(A | A + B = c) = [f(A, A+B=c)] / [f(A+B=c)]

Not sure how to proceed.

We will have to work with A+B. Do you know the probability distribution of this??

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
My professor explained this concept absolutely horribly and I have no idea how to do these problems.

Let A and B be independent Poisson random variables with parameters α and β, respectively. Find the conditional expectation of A given A + B = c.
(Hint: For discrete random variables, there is no conditional density. Use the definition of conditional probability.)

Attempt:
Starting with the definition, f(A | A + B = c) = [f(A, A+B=c)] / [f(A+B=c)]

Not sure how to proceed.
It is best to be clear and to use correct notation: you want P{A=k|A+B=c} for the possible values of k in {0,1,2,...}. So, you need to compute P{A=k & A+B=c} in the numerator (and, of course, you need P{A+B=c} in the denominator).

Do you know the distribution of A+B? It should be in your textbook or course notes; if not, look on-line, or work it out for yourself from first principles, using the distributions of A and B and the formula for the distribution of a sum of independent random variables (really: it is not that hard!).

RGV

Last edited:
The distribution for a Poisson distribution is p(x) = [e^(-λ)*λ^x] / x!

Yes, that is the distribution for A and B with [itex]\lambda=\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\lambda=\beta[/itex] respectively.

But we are asking about the distribution of A+B.

A + B also has a Poisson distribution with parameters Poisson(A+B), as the sum of independent Poisson random variables has a Poisson distribution.

OK, that's good. Now we want to figure out (for fixed c)

[tex]f(A=x~|~A+B=c)[/tex]

In order to find to, we want to find

[tex]f(A=x,~A+B=c)[/tex]

Of course, this is equal to

[tex]f(A=x,~B=c-x)[/tex]

Can you find this?? This is just a two-dimensional pmf. Remember that A and B are independent, so you can find it easily.

Then we also nee to find

[tex]f(A+B=c)[/tex]

This should be easy since you just figured out the distribution of A+B.

Not sure how to go about finding f(A=x , B=c−x)

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Can anyone show me this problem step by step? I'm not picking up on any of this question, which is why I posted this.

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Can anyone show me this problem step by step? I'm not picking up on any of this question, which is why I posted this.
No, we can't. That is not how this forum works. However, I will give you a hint: if your professor did not explain things to your satisfaction, and if, for some reason you do not have access to course notes or to a textbook, then *look online*. Google 'independent + probability' to turn up hundreds of articles at various levels of sophistication, from step-by-step explanations to abstract discussions.

RGV

Last edited:
P(A|A+B=c)
= P(A|B=c-A)
= P(A and B=c-A) / P(B=c-A)

=P(α + β) / P(β) ?

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
P(A|A+B=c)
= P(A|B=c-A)
= P(A and B=c-A) / P(B=c-A)

=P(α + β) / P(β) ?
I have no idea what you mean by P(α + β) or P(β). I know what α and β are, and I know what is meant by P(A=u) or P(B=v) and how to write them in terms of α, β, u and v, but I cannot figure out your P(α+β), etc. Anyway, I certainly would get something very different from what you wrote.

RGV