Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability density from Wave Function

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1
    A friend of mine recently tried to tell me that the square of the wave function for a particle (that is, [itex]\Psi^2[/itex]) gives the probability density of finding a particle in space.

I disagree. I always thought that the wave function multiplied by its complex conjugate (that is, [itex]\Psi \Psi^*[/itex]) yielded the probability density for the particle. They are definitely not the same, because [itex]\forall a,b \neq 0, \ (a+bi)^2 = a^2 + 2abi + b^2 \neq a^2 + b^2[/itex].

So, is the probability density given by [itex]\Psi^2[/itex] or [itex]\Psi \Psi^* = |\Psi|^2[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2013 #2
    It's the [itex]|\Psi|^2[/itex], a real number

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3

Jano L.

Gold Member

Perhaps your friend referred to wave function that is eigenstate of some atomic or molecular Hamiltonian. These can be chosen to be real, so then ##\Psi^2## gives the correct density as well as ##|\Psi|^2##. But the latter is the general expression.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook