1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability density function ?

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose X selects an integer from the set S = {0,1,...,9} and Y selects an integer from {0,...,x^2}. Find:
    (a) f(x,y) [joint prob density func]
    (b) fY(y) [marginal for Y]
    (c) Probability (Y <= 10 | X = 5)
    (d) Probability (Y <= 10 | X <= 5)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm confused how to start this problem (finding the j.p.d.f.). My teacher's notes are kind of all over the place so this is what I attempted to put together:

(a) f(x,y) = Prob(X=x, Y=y) = f(y|x)f(x)
    f(x) = 1/10
    f(x,y) = 1/(x2+1) * (1/10)

(b) I'm guessing.. f(y) = Ʃ [ 1/(x^2+1) * (1/10) ]
    I'm confused about what the summation is over. In the book it says "probability distribution h(y) of Y alone is obtained by summing f(x,y) over values of X". So does this mean f(y) = Ʃ [ 1/(x^2+1) * (1/10) ] from x=0 to x=9? Or is it from x=y0 (some fixed y) to x=9? If it is the latter case, how do I go about solving this?

Sry, i don't know if I mentioned it but (b) is supposed to be the marginal for Y (and Y alone)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First you don't give a probability function for X or Y alone. Should we assume uniform probability?

You say "Suppose X selects an integer from the set S = {0,1,...,9} and Y selects an integer from {0,...,x^2}." Do you mean Suppose X selects an integer, x, from the set S = {0,1,...,9} and Y selects an integer from {0,...,x^2}? If not, what is x?

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Sorry, the full problem says X uniformly selects an integer, x, from S={1,...,9}, and then Y uniformly selects an integer from {0,...,x^2}

Also, once I have (b), how do I apply that to (c) and (d)?

5. Mar 8, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]f_y(y)[/itex] will be a function of both x and y (but treats x as a constant parameter). Set x= 5 in (c). For (d), set x= 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 and sum.

6. Mar 8, 2012 #5
    Thanks for your help... I'm starting to see it now somewhat. One last question: is my fY(y) = (1/10) Ʃ (1/(x2+1)) from x=y0 to x=9 correct?

I got
    (c) 42.3%
    (d) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook