Probability mail arrives before noon on at least one of two days

  • Thread starter Thread starter EvilPony
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
EvilPony
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
There is a 80% chance that Wednesday's mail will be delivered before noon on Wednesday and a 40% chance that Thursday's mail will be delivered before noon on Thursday. If these probabilities are independent, what is the probability that the mail will arrive before noon at least one of those two days?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
heh guess I should be posting what I've done on these instead of just posting the question :)

ok well all I know is that its .8 (x) + .4 (x) , but I have no idea what the variable x is. I can't just add .8 and .4 because that would be greater then one. So i guess I just need help figuring out what x is
 
or maybe this has something to do with the independent test...
 
One way to go about solving "at least one" problems, is to think of the probability that none happen.
 
Evilpony,

Does that answer (88%) seem to make sense? Should it be greater than the probability on either individual day?