Probability of choosing stale donuts out of 24

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
TheSodesa
Messages
224
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement


There are 6 stale donuts in a set of 24. What is the probability of:
a) there being no stale donuts in a sample of 10?
b) there being 3 stale donuts in a sample of 10?
c) What is the chance of a stale doughnut being found?

Homework Equations


[itex]N \, permutations = N![/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Let ##X## denote the number of stale donuts in a set of 10.

a) I used the idea of permutations like so:
[tex]P(X = 0) = \frac{\frac{18!}{8!}}{\frac{24!}{15!}} \approx 0.335[/tex]
This was incorrect, according to the testing software

b) Here I followed the same idea:
[tex]P(X=3) = \frac{\frac{18!}{11!} \times \frac{6!}{3!}}{\frac{24!}{15!}} \approx 0.041[/tex]

c) This is just the complement of part ##a##:

[tex]P(X \, is \, at \, least \, 1) = 1 - 0.061 = 0.665[/tex]

Parts ##a## and ##b## (and ##c## as a consequence of ##a## being wrong) are apparently wrong and I'm not sure what's wrong with my reasoning.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was completely wrong. I was supposed to use combinations instead:

a) [tex]P(X = 0) = \frac{18 \choose 10}{24 \choose 10} =39/1748 \approx 0.22[/tex]

b) [tex]P(X = 3) = \frac{{18 \choose 7} \times {6 \choose 3}}{{24 \choose 10}} =1560/4807 \approx 0.325[/tex]

c) [tex]P(X \text{ is at least } 1) = 1 - P(X = 0) = 1709/1748 \approx 0.987[/tex]
 
TheSodesa said:
I was completely wrong. I was supposed to use combinations instead:

a) [tex]P(X = 0) = \frac{18 \choose 10}{24 \choose 10} =39/1748 \approx 0.22[/tex]

b) [tex]P(X = 3) = \frac{{18 \choose 7} \times {6 \choose 3}}{{24 \choose 10}} =1560/4807 \approx 0.325[/tex]

c) [tex]P(X \text{ is at least } 1) = 1 - P(X = 0) = 1709/1748 \approx 0.987[/tex]

These are all correct, now. As Buzz Bloom has stated, you are using the so-called hypergeometric distribution.