Probability of choosing stale donuts out of 24

In summary, the conversation involves finding the probability of various scenarios involving stale donuts in a set of 24. The solution requires the use of combinations instead of permutations, as well as the concept of the hypergeometric distribution. The correct probabilities for a) and b) are 0.22 and 0.325 respectively, while the chance of a stale donut being found in the set is 0.987.
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

There are 6 stale donuts in a set of 24. What is the probability of:
a) there being no stale donuts in a sample of 10?
b) there being 3 stale donuts in a sample of 10?
c) What is the chance of a stale doughnut being found?

Homework Equations

[itex]N \, permutations = N![/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##X## denote the number of stale donuts in a set of 10.

a) I used the idea of permutations like so:
[tex]P(X = 0) = \frac{\frac{18!}{8!}}{\frac{24!}{15!}} \approx 0.335[/tex]
This was incorrect, according to the testing software

b) Here I followed the same idea:
[tex]P(X=3) = \frac{\frac{18!}{11!} \times \frac{6!}{3!}}{\frac{24!}{15!}} \approx 0.041[/tex]

c) This is just the complement of part ##a##:

[tex]P(X \, is \, at \, least \, 1) = 1 - 0.061 = 0.665[/tex]

Parts ##a## and ##b## (and ##c## as a consequence of ##a## being wrong) are apparently wrong and I'm not sure what's wrong with my reasoning.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was completely wrong. I was supposed to use combinations instead:

a) [tex]P(X = 0) = \frac{18 \choose 10}{24 \choose 10} =39/1748 \approx 0.22 [/tex]

b) [tex]P(X = 3) = \frac{{18 \choose 7} \times {6 \choose 3}}{{24 \choose 10}} =1560/4807 \approx 0.325 [/tex]

c) [tex]P(X \text{ is at least } 1) = 1 - P(X = 0) = 1709/1748 \approx 0.987[/tex]

TheSodesa said:
I was completely wrong. I was supposed to use combinations instead:

a) [tex]P(X = 0) = \frac{18 \choose 10}{24 \choose 10} =39/1748 \approx 0.22 [/tex]

b) [tex]P(X = 3) = \frac{{18 \choose 7} \times {6 \choose 3}}{{24 \choose 10}} =1560/4807 \approx 0.325 [/tex]

c) [tex]P(X \text{ is at least } 1) = 1 - P(X = 0) = 1709/1748 \approx 0.987[/tex]

These are all correct, now. As Buzz Bloom has stated, you are using the so-called hypergeometric distribution.

1. How do I calculate the probability of choosing a stale donut out of 24?

To calculate the probability, you need to know the total number of donuts (24) and the number of stale donuts. The formula for probability is: (Number of stale donuts / Total number of donuts) x 100%. So if there are 6 stale donuts, the probability would be (6/24) x 100% = 25%.

2. What factors can affect the probability of choosing a stale donut?

The main factor that affects the probability is the freshness of the donuts. If the donuts have been sitting out for a long time, there is a higher chance of them becoming stale. Other factors could include the type of donut (some may go stale faster than others) and the storage conditions.

3. Is there a way to lower the probability of choosing a stale donut?

Yes, there are a few ways to lower the probability. One way is to choose from a fresh batch of donuts or ones that have just been made. Another way is to properly store the donuts in an airtight container or in the refrigerator. Lastly, you can also check the expiration date on the donut packaging before purchasing.

4. What is the difference between probability and possibility?

Probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring, while possibility refers to the potential for something to happen. In the context of choosing stale donuts, probability would be the chance of selecting a stale donut out of 24, while possibility would be the chance that any of the donuts could potentially become stale.

5. Can the probability of choosing a stale donut be 100%?

Technically, yes, the probability could be 100% if all 24 donuts are stale. However, in most cases, it is highly unlikely for all 24 donuts to be stale. The probability would be much lower if there are a mix of fresh and stale donuts.