1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of independent events

1. Jun 29, 2014 #1
    i have drawn the venn diagram for the question... i am not sure it's correct or not. the question states both are independent events. i dont understand the working in part b ... for me , my ans would be p(A) +p(B).. correct me if i am wrong. thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Set A should be the set of all products with defect A
    Similarly for set B.
    Now can you see why the sets intersect?

What does that look like on a venn diagram? (hint: not like you did).

Independent events are those whose probability is not affected by the occurance of the other.
    i.e. where P(A|B)=P(A), P(B|A)=P(B)

Since: P(A|B)=P(AnB)/P(B)
    This means that for independent events, P(AnB)=P(A)P(B).

(using AnB = "A intersection B")

4. Jun 29, 2014 #3
    the venn diagram look like this?

Attached Files:

5. Jun 29, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Correct. Do you see now why your answer was wrong? You essentially did the following:

[tex]\mathbb{P}(A\cup B) = \mathbb{P}(A) + \mathbb{P}(B)[/tex]

which is only allowed if ##A## and ##B## do not intersect. But ##A## and ##B## do intersect here, so you cannot apply this formula!

6. Jun 29, 2014 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be a little more specific about independent events -- If events A and B are independent, the probability of event A happening is the same whether B occurs or not. And the converse is true. One way to show that in a Venn diagram is to draw A as a horizontal slice of the whole diagram, and B as a vertical slice of the whole diagram. That way the percent of A within B is the same as the percent of A within the entire diagram (and vice versa). The first diagram in the attachment shows independent events and the second diagram shows dependent events venn_diagram_independent_events.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted