1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system

1. Aug 12, 2014 #1

mtd

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spin-1/2 system in the state [itex] \left|ψ\right\rangle = \left|0.5, z\right\rangle[/itex] of the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] spin operator has eigenvalue [itex]s = +\hbar/2[/itex]. Find the expectation values of the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] and [itex]S_{x}[/itex] operators.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\left\langle S_{x,z}\right\rangle = \left\langle ψ \right| S_{x,z}\left|ψ\right\rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Multiplied out above equations to find [itex]\hbar z/2[/itex] and [itex]\hbar (0.25 - z^{2})/2[/itex] for the x and z directions, respectively. I assume [itex]z[/itex] is just "some variable" - is it safe to normalize the eigenstate and set z equal to root 0.75?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the probability of measuring [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] in a measurement of [itex]S_{x}[/itex] in the same system.

2. Relevant equations
    The probability of measuring the eigenvalue [itex]a_{n}[/itex] in a measurement of the observable [itex]A[/itex] is [itex]P \left( a_{n} \right) = \left| \left\langle b_{n} |ψ \right\rangle \right| ^{2}[/itex] where [itex]\left|b_{n}\right\rangle[/itex] is the normalised eigenvector of [itex]A[/itex] corresponding the the eigenvalue

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe this should just be the eigenvalue squared i.e. [itex]\hbar ^{2}/4[/itex], but I'm not sure if or why this is the case.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

[itex]S_x[/itex] and [itex]S_z[/itex] are the operators, representing the spin-x and -z components. Usually you write them with help of the Pauli spin matrices as
    [tex]S_j=\frac{\hbar}{2} \sigma_j, \quad j \in \{x,y,z\}.[/tex]

In the 2nd problem just calculate what you've written down and not guess some eigenvalue. Think also about the question, how can a probability be a dimensionful quantity as your result suggests?

4. Aug 12, 2014 #3

mtd

I used the Pauli matrices to get my solution for the first question. For the second question I found the eigenvector for [itex]S_{x}[/itex] to be [itex](1,1)[/itex] and the probability of measuring [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] to be [itex](z+0.5)^{2}[/itex]. However, if the eigenstate of the system is normalised and [itex]z = \sqrt{3/4}[/itex] then I must be incorrect.

Thank you

edit: Using the other eigenvector [itex](1,−1)[/itex] yielded [itex](z−0.5)^{2} = 0.134[/itex] - my first choice of eigenvector corresponded to [itex]-\hbar /2[/itex] rather than [itex]\hbar /2[/itex]. I think I've solved the question, but why is the probability incorrect when I use the negative eigenvalue? I believe it is a valid value of [itex]s_{x}[/itex]

5. Aug 12, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand what [itex]z[/itex] should mean. In the formula you quote, there is no variable [itex]z[/itex].

You have [itex]|1/2,x \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/itex] (I've normalized the vector properly for you). Your system is prepared in the spin state [itex]|\psi \rangle = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. Now you should be able to calculate the probability to measure [itex]\hbar/2[/itex] for [itex]\sigma_x[/itex]!

6. Aug 12, 2014 #5

mtd

Strange, the system state should be displayed like this: ebc6814477.png

edit: Okay, I think I understand why the system state should be [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], i.e. [itex]z = 0[/itex] - by using the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] operator on the given eigenstate you can see the z has to be zero.

Using this information I find expectation values of 0 and [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] for x and z respectively. However with [itex]z = 0[/itex] I find that probability of measuring [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] for [itex]S_{x}[/itex] is 1 which is inconsistent with the expectation value.

7. Aug 13, 2014 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Argh! Sorry, I've overlooked this. I understood the question such that [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] should be the eigenstate of [itex]\hat{s}_z[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\hbar/2[/itex]. Then, in the usual convention to choose the Pauli matrices with respect to the [itex]\hat{s}_z[/itex] eigenbasis, [itex]z=0[/itex].

For the probability you have to normalize the eigenvector of [itex]\hat{\sigma}_x[/itex] to 1!

8. Aug 13, 2014 #7

mtd

Aha, got it (P = 0.5). Must remember to normalise eigenkets. Thanks!

9. Aug 13, 2014 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted