Probability of ordering one blue, one white, and one green car

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Iyafrady
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Iyafrady
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
I need help with this homework question:
The colors blue,white,black, and green are in equal demand for a type of car.Three succesive orders are placed for this type of car.Find the probability of the following events.
a)one blue,one white, and one green are ordered.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should post under the HW section, and indicate your attempt to solve it.
 
if anyone could just help me get started I am shure i could figure it out.Ive tried several techniqies with no succes, the answer in the book is .09375
 
i tried to find the probability that a black wasnt ordered and subtract that from 1 but i didnt get the right answer.I also tried doing a calculation were you find the "runs" of an event but that also failed.Aswell as other techniques i can't remember.
 
Iyafrady said:
i tried to find the probability that a black wasnt ordered and subtract that from 1 but i didnt get the right answer.I also tried doing a calculation were you find the "runs" of an event but that also failed.Aswell as other techniques i can't remember.
How many different 3-combinations of 4 colors are there?
 
Last edited:
ok there are 24 distinct 3-combinations, and that would be the denominator??What about the numerator?maybe I've been lookaing at this problem too long..:-(
 
Last edited:
For the denominator, you should allow for repetitions:

all black = {B, B, B, B} or all blue = {b, b, b, b} or 2 white, 2 green = {w, w, g, g} = {w, g, w, g} = {w, g, g, w} = etc...