Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of outcome of combined events

1. Jul 3, 2010 #1
    I'm a bit lost on use of mutually exclusive and independent rule on this. I know probability of winning a game is a loose term, but....
    If I had a team's schedule of 12 games with probabilities listed of winning each game, would I add those probabilities, then divide sum by 12 for an average, and multiply by 12 for probability of season wins?
    I was thinking it would have to be much more difficult than this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose each game showed an exactly identical probability (say, 50%). What would you conclude about season wins?

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3
    I'd conclude nothing froma sample this small, especially sporting events. Regardless of %, I thought it would still be the equation
    Pr(A+B+C)= Pr(A) X Pr(B) X Pr(C).
    It's just when I calculate all 12 "50%, I come up with the worls worst probability of winning even one game, much less 12. To accomplish a season so bad, they'd have to fumble every snap of every game and maybe forfeit some games from last year to make up for it.
    Are these not independent events? I have no evidence in a dispute with the individual who's saying just add the % and divide.
    Please show me where I err.

5. Jul 4, 2010 #4
    You're correct, I think.

If you have a certain percent chance to win a game, then you can (for seasons with lots of games) take that win percentage and add it to your season win total.

For example:
    Game 1 - 40% chance to win
    Game 2 - 30%
    Game 3 - 70%
    Game 5 - 35%
    Game 6 - 25%

You can take these percentages as parts of games won to find the expected wins for the season.

For my example season:
    .4 + .3 + .7 + .35 + .25 = 2 games
    So you'll probably win two games. Just remember that the smaller the sample size, the less accurate this prediction is.

6. Jul 5, 2010 #5
    I remember the probability must lie between 0 and 1, so it couldn't be 2 for total probability(1 would be an almost certain 5-0 season). Isn't that right?
    Since each is 1/5 of the total, maybe .4X.2+ .7X.2, etc
    =.08 + =.14 + etc?

7. Jul 6, 2010 #6
    For example, if you're 100% sure you will win 5 out of 5 games, then you can calculate the expected number of games you will win using the method I described above (although it's obvious):

1 * 100% = 1
    + 1 * 100% = 1
    + 1 * 100% = 1
    + 1 * 100% = 1
    + 1 * 100% = 1
    = 5 games

If you play five games which you have a 50% chance to win:

1 * 50% = .5
    + 1 * 50% = .5
    + 1 * 50% = .5
    + 1 * 50% = .5
    + 1 * 50% = .5
    =2.5 games

Now since you obviously cannot win 2.5 games (unless you can tie?), you can infer that you have an equal chance to win either 2 or 3 games but you also have some chance to win 0, 1, 4, or 5 games.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook