1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of penetrating a potential barrier

1. Dec 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The probability for a particle of energy E<<V0 to penetrate a potential barrier of height V0 and width d is approximately [tex]\frac{16E}{V_0}exp\left[\frac{-2d\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex].
    An electron moves between two potential barriers of height V0 and 2v0 that are of widths 2a and a respectively . For what range of energies is it more likely to exit through the right barrier than through the left?

2. Relevant equations
    Given in question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]P_\text{left}=\frac{16E}{V_0}exp\left[\frac{-4a\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex]

[tex]P_\text{left}=\frac{16E}{2V_0}exp\left[\frac{-2a\sqrt{2m(2V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex]

I have attempted to solve the inequality Pright>Pleft. Due to the two square roots I had to square the entire expression twice to obtain an expression without surds, leaving me to solve:
    [tex]9E^2+\left(\frac{10\hbar^2}{4a^2}(\ln{2})^2-12V_0\right)E+4V_0^2-\frac{3\hbar^2}{a^2}(\ln{2})^2V_0>0[/tex]

I know I can solve this to find a range of energies, however I think there should be an easier way to solve it, since it is an exam question with limited time.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just looking at the maths - why not just cancel the ##\frac{16E}{V_0}## before you start?

4. Dec 5, 2017 #3
    I did that as part of the maths which led to the final inequality, I just didnt show the steps as its just rearranging the original inequality.

5. Dec 5, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, of course! The clue is ##E << V_0## I think. That suggests a binomial expansion to me.

6. Dec 5, 2017 #5
    I hadn't thought of that at all. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted