Probability of skill at board games

In summary, the conversation discusses the scoring system in board games and the chance that a higher score belongs to a more skilled player rather than being a random result. The speaker also asks about the difference in average scores per round and which assumptions are needed to answer this question. They also mention using independent z or t tests for small N or nonparametric methods for non-normal distributions.
Gerenuk
In many board games points are counted.
Does some know the result to the following question?
Assume that in each round points are given according to some normal distribution and points over the rounds are added up. Now say after N rounds the score of two players is X and Y. What is the chance that the higher score really belongs to a more skilled player (higher average in one round) and is not just a random result? Can I say something about the difference in average scores per round? For example how many standard deviations are between them?

(or which other assumptions do I need to include to pose this question?)

I'm not familiar with all concepts of statistics, but maybe someone can tell me where to plug in X, Y and N to get my result? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Player x and y can have a specific amount of points for each of each round, after N rounds x has set of points and y has his own set of points too. You can use independent z test on average points per round between x set and y set. If the N is small say < 30, you can use independent t test. If distribution of x and y are not normal and have very different standard deviations. You should use nonparametric methods, like rank sum based tests.

What is probability of skill at board games?

The probability of skill at board games refers to the likelihood of a player winning or performing well in a board game due to their level of skill and experience.

How is probability of skill at board games calculated?

The calculation of probability of skill at board games can vary depending on the specific game and factors such as player experience, game complexity, and luck. In general, it involves assessing the likelihood of different outcomes and the impact of player skill on those outcomes.

Is probability of skill at board games the same as luck?

No, probability of skill at board games is not the same as luck. While luck can play a role in determining the outcome of a board game, skill and experience can also greatly influence the chances of winning. A skilled player is more likely to make strategic moves and make better decisions, thus increasing their probability of winning.

Can probability of skill at board games be improved?

Yes, probability of skill at board games can be improved through practice, learning new strategies, and gaining experience. Just like with any skill, the more you play and learn, the higher your chances of success.

How does probability of skill at board games affect the outcome of a game?

The probability of skill at board games can greatly impact the outcome of a game. A player with a higher probability of skill is more likely to win or perform well, while a player with a lower probability of skill may struggle to compete. However, luck can still play a role in the final outcome, so it is not a guarantee of success.