Probability of taking different colored balls out of a jar

Thank you for your input and explanation, it is a more elegant way of solving the first question. As for the second and third questions, I am still trying to find a similar approach.
bantalon

Homework Statement

You are given a jar with 9 balls in it. 4 of which are red, 3 are green, and 2 are blue. The 9 balls are taken out of the jar one by one.
  1. What are the odds that the first 3 balls have 3 different colors?
  2. What are the odds that the last 3 ball have 3 different colors?
  3. What are the odds the the first, the third, and the seventh balls have 3 different colors?

Homework Equations

Will be shown in the solution attempt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I managed to solve the first question, but I would appreciate your remarks, if you have any. I am looking for an elegant way to solve the second and the third questions.
  1. [(4*3*2)*3!*6!]/9!
    Explanation: We have 4 options of choosing red ball, 3 of green, and 2 of blue, we multiply by 3! as the order matters. We then multiply by 6! options of taking out the next 6 available balls. We finish by dividing by 9! which is total number of options of taking out the 9 balls.

Physics news on Phys.org
bantalon said:

Homework Statement

You are given a jar with 9 balls in it. 4 of which are red, 3 are green, and 2 are blue. The 9 balls are taken out of the jar one by one.
  1. What are the odds that the first 3 balls have 3 different colors?
  2. What are the odds that the last 3 ball have 3 different colors?
  3. What are the odds the the first, the third, and the seventh balls have 3 different colors?

Homework Equations

Will be shown in the solution attempt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I managed to solve the first question, but I would appreciate your remarks, if you have any. I am looking for an elegant way to solve the second and the third questions.
  1. [(4*3*2)*3!*6!]/9!
    Explanation: We have 4 options of choosing red ball, 3 of green, and 2 of blue, we multiply by 3! as the order matters. We then multiply by 6! options of taking out the next 6 available balls. We finish by dividing by 9! which is total number of options of taking out the 9 balls.
I would have done (1) in quite a different way. Initially, there are 9 balls, 4 of which are red. The probability that the first ball is red is 4/9. Now there are 8 balls, 3 of which are green. The probability that the second ball is green is 3/8. Finally, there are 7 balls left, 2 of which are blue. The probability the third ball is blue is 2/7. The probability that the first three balls drawn are "red, green, blue" in that order, is (4/9)(3/8)(2/7). Since there are 3!= 6 ways to order those three colors, the probability of three different colors (red, green, and blue) in any order is 6(4/9)(3/8)(2/7). An important observation in concluding that we can just multiply by 6 is that while the individual fractions will be different (for example, "blue", "green", "red" would be (2/9)(3/8)(4/7)) the numerators and denominators are the same, just with the numerators in different orders. Is that the same as what you got?

Yes, this gives the exact same solution.

1. What is the probability of taking a specific colored ball out of a jar?

The probability of taking a specific colored ball out of a jar depends on the number of balls of that color in the jar and the total number of balls in the jar. It can be calculated by dividing the number of balls of that color by the total number of balls in the jar.

2. How is the probability affected if balls are taken out of the jar and not replaced?

If balls are taken out of the jar and not replaced, the probability of taking a specific colored ball will change after each draw. As the number of balls in the jar decreases, the probability of taking a specific colored ball will increase.

3. Can the probability of taking a specific colored ball be greater than 1?

No, the probability of taking a specific colored ball cannot be greater than 1. The probability of an event can range from 0 to 1, where 0 means the event is impossible and 1 means the event is certain to occur.

4. How does the number of colors in the jar affect the probability of taking a specific colored ball?

The number of colors in the jar does not directly affect the probability of taking a specific colored ball. However, the more colors there are in the jar, the more possible outcomes there are and the lower the probability of taking a specific colored ball becomes.

5. Can the probability of taking a specific colored ball be negative?

No, the probability of taking a specific colored ball cannot be negative. As mentioned before, the probability of an event can range from 0 to 1, and it is not possible to have a negative probability.