Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of zero in stationary wave state

1. Sep 22, 2006 #1
    What is it that causes the probability of stationary waves ( or waves in general) to be zero at a particular point? I mean, when i look at a stationary wave state there are places that there are zero probability of the particle being at with a particular energy, but i don't understand why there is zero probability there

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure you're confusing the probability density with the probability itself. By "stationary waves" (in QM perhaps) do you mean "plane waves" ? They describe particles with definite energy & momentum.

Daniel.

4. Sep 22, 2006 #3
    By stationary wave, I think he/she means stationary state: i.e. an energy eigenstate (which is, therefore, independent of time, assuming a time-independent Hamiltonian).

5. Sep 23, 2006 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take a high speed photo of a vibrating string in its second harmonic.
    The center will never move.

6. Sep 23, 2006 #5
    And as for the "what causes it..." part of the question, the answer is simple: boundary & continuity/smoothness conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?