Probability Question - POLITICS?

In summary, the conversation discusses the results of a recent survey on Canadian's satisfaction with politicians. Out of 600 Canadians polled, 480 were dissatisfied, 90 were satisfied, and 30 had no opinion. The question then asks for the probability of no more than 1 person being satisfied in a sample of 4 Canadians. The summary also includes a follow-up question about the probabilities for two random and independent samples of 20 and 25 Canadians. The conversation concludes with a request for help in solving the problem.
apoechma
Probability Question - POLITICS?! :)

In a recent survey 480 out of 600 Canadians polled stated that they were dissatisfied with politicians. OF the remainging 120 who were olled, 75% were satisfied with politicians, and 25% had no opinion. Assuming that these findings can be generalized to all Canadians, then:

a) In a radon sample of 4 Canadieans what is the probability that no more than 1 would be satisfied with politicians?

b) If two random and independent samples of Canadians were taken, one consisting of 20 people and the other of 25 people, what is the probability either that more than 18 of the sample of 20 or that between 19 and 23 of the sample of 25 would state a definite opinion for or against about politicians?

For a:
I KNOW that 480/600 = .8 dissatisfied
90/600 = .15 satisfied (75% of 120)
30/600 = .05 no opinion ( 25% of 120)

So for 4 Canadians _ _ _ _ I worked it as exactly 1 Canadian would be satisfied then PLUS NO Canadians would be satisfied. HOWEVER I do not know how to do it! PLEASE HELP! Like S_ _ _ >>? Whats the other 3 options, can they be disastisfied and no opinion?? COuld someone PLEASE work out problem for me and I will understand once i see it??!?

THANK U SO MUCH u have NO IDEA how Much I appreciate this!

Physics news on Phys.org

apoechma said:
In a recent survey 480 out of 600 Canadians polled stated that they were dissatisfied with politicians. OF the remainging 120 who were olled, 75% were satisfied with politicians, and 25% had no opinion. Assuming that these findings can be generalized to all Canadians, then:

a) In a radon sample of 4 Canadieans what is the probability that no more than 1 would be satisfied with politicians?

b) If two random and independent samples of Canadians were taken, one consisting of 20 people and the other of 25 people, what is the probability either that more than 18 of the sample of 20 or that between 19 and 23 of the sample of 25 would state a definite opinion for or against about politicians?

For a:
I KNOW that 480/600 = .8 dissatisfied
90/600 = .15 satisfied (75% of 120)
30/600 = .05 no opinion ( 25% of 120)

So for 4 Canadians _ _ _ _ I worked it as exactly 1 Canadian would be satisfied then PLUS NO Canadians would be satisfied. HOWEVER I do not know how to do it! PLEASE HELP!
You just said that .8 of your sample were dissatisfied. If that holds true for all Canadians (which is assumed here) then .8 of any sample of 4 people should be dissatisfied. What is (.8)(4)? What integer does that round to?

Like S_ _ _ >>? Whats the other 3 options, can they be disastisfied and no opinion?? COuld someone PLEASE work out problem for me and I will understand once i see it??!?
You have .15 satisfied so what is (.15)(4)? What integer does that round to?
What is (.05)(4)? What integer does that round to?

THANK U SO MUCH u have NO IDEA how Much I appreciate this!

1) What is probability in the context of politics?

Probability in politics refers to the likelihood or chance of a particular political event or outcome occurring. It is often used to analyze and predict election results, policy decisions, and other political events.

2) How is probability calculated in politics?

Probability in politics is typically calculated using data analysis and statistical models. This can involve looking at historical data, polling data, and other factors to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome.

3) Can probability be used to accurately predict election outcomes?

While probability can be a useful tool in predicting election outcomes, it is important to note that there are many unpredictable factors in politics and no prediction can be 100% accurate. Probability can help identify the most likely outcome, but it is not a guarantee.

4) How does probability impact decision-making in politics?

Probability can play a significant role in decision-making in politics. It can inform policy decisions, campaign strategies, and other important choices by providing a sense of the likelihood of different outcomes.

5) Are there any limitations to using probability in politics?

While probability can provide valuable insights, it is important to consider its limitations in the context of politics. Factors such as human behavior, unexpected events, and biased data can all affect the accuracy of probability calculations.