1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability question related to dice

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A die is thrown n times(n being odd). The probability that even face turns odd number of times is

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The probability that even face appears is 1/2 and odd face appears is 1/2. From any of the n throws, the even face can appear 1, 3, 5 ..... or n times. Thus the required probability is
    [itex]\dfrac{1}{2^n} [^nC_1+^nC_3+^nC_5+............+^nC_n][/itex]

But I don't know how to sum this series.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2
    Multiply and divide by 2. Then investigate the expansion of ##(1+x)^n## and ##(1-x)^n##.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What relationships can you find between that probability and the probability that even faces appear an even number of times?

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

They both add up to 1. That's what I can think.

6. Oct 21, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, they add up to 1, but there's another relationship. Try rephrasing one of the two conditions in terms of probability of a number of odd faces. Can you see a useful symmetry?

7. Oct 21, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi utkarshakash! :smile:

as a general rule, if you're stuck, try a simple case and see if you can see a pattern

eg what is the answer for n = 3? :wink:

8. Oct 22, 2013 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I am not able to make out what is wrong in my original solution. For eg- If I take n=3 (as suggested by tiny-tim) then I have to find the probability that even face appears either 1 or 3 times.If it appears 1 times out of 3 throws I can write 3C1(1/2)^3. SUppose instead that if it appears 3 times out of 3 throws, the probability will be 3C3(1/2)^3. Adding the 2 probabilities should give the correct answer.

9. Oct 22, 2013 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi utkarshakash! :smile:

ah, but your original question was …
    … and that's what we've all been talking about!
    and that answer is … ? :wink:

10. Oct 22, 2013 #9

utkarshakash

Gold Member

[itex](1+x)^n-(1-x)^n=2(C_1x+C_3x^2......) \\
    2^{n-1}=C_1+C_3+C_7......[/itex]
    So the answer should be [itex]2^{n-1}/2^n[/itex] which unfortunately is incorrect.

The correct answer is [itex]\dfrac{1.3.5.7.........(2n-1)}{2^n n!}[/itex]

11. Oct 22, 2013 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If that's the answer then I don't think I have understood the question.
    The reasoning I was trying to lead you towards is:
    - prob of odd number of even throws equals prob of odd number of odd throws, by symmetry
    - prob of odd number of odd throws equals prob of even number of even throws since they are the same event
    - prob of odd number of even throws and prob of even number of even throws add to 1
    Putting those three together we get 1/2.
    So I strongly suspect the problem has been misinterpreted somewhere along the line. Is it the exact wording? A translation? Should it be 2n throws?

12. Oct 22, 2013 #11

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Oh! I'm really sorry as I've made a mistake in posting the correct answer. Actually the correct answer for this question is 1/2 and the answer posted here is the answer of some other question. I apologize for any inconvenience that may have occurred to you.

13. Oct 22, 2013 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since people have already told you the answer, I might as well explain one of the other approaches that was suggested to you, but which you seemed to ignore. Let ##S_E = \sum{k} C(n,2k)## and ##S_O = \sum_{k} C(n,2k+1)## be the even and odd sums. We have
    [tex]0 = (1-1)^n = C(n,0)-C(n,1)+C(n,2)- \cdots = S_E - S_O [/tex]
    and
    [tex]2^n = (1+1)^n = C(n,0) + C(n,1) + C(n,2) + \cdots = S_E + S_O.[/tex]
    Therefore, ##S_E = S_O = 2^{n-1}##.

14. Oct 22, 2013 #13

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I did not ignore it. I followed this approach to reach at the answer. You should read my previous post.

15. Oct 22, 2013 #14

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

another way to show that the odd sum equals the even sum … which is clearer if you use 2n+1 instead of n … is by using the symmetry of nCi:

2n+1C2i+1 = ∑ 2n+1C2(n-i) :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted