1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability to find electron in ground state

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron in hydrogen atom can be described with normalized wavefunction ##\psi (r,\vartheta ,\varphi )=(\frac{1}{64\pi r_B^3})^{\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{r}{4r_B})##.

Calculate the probability that the electron is in ground state of hydrogen atom. How much is the energy of electron in state ##\psi ##?
    Ground state is ##\psi (r,\vartheta ,\varphi )=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi }}\frac{2}{r_B^{3/2}}exp(-\frac{r}{r_B})##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea on how to even start with the fist part - calculating the probability...

But the second part should be relatively easy to do: ##\left \langle \psi\left | \hat{H} \right | \psi \right \rangle=\left \langle \psi\left | \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\hat{p}^2+\frac{\hat{l}^2}{2m\left \langle r \right \rangle^2}-\frac{e^2}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}\frac{1}{\hat{r}} \right | \psi \right \rangle##

But still... what is the idea behind the first question? o_O

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let ##\psi## be your given normalized wavefunction and let ##\phi_1, \phi_2, \phi_3,....## be the normalized wavefunctions for the energy eigenstates of the atom. So, ##\phi_1## is the ground state, ##\phi_2## is the first excited state, etc.

The set of eigenfunctions ##\{\phi_1, \phi_2, \phi_3,...\}## form a complete, orthonormal set of functions. So, you could imagine expanding ##\psi## in terms of the eigenfunctions:

##\psi = a_1\phi_1+a_2\phi_2+a_3\phi_3...##

How is the coefficient ##a_1## related to the probability that you are asked to find, and how can you calculate the value of ##a_1##?

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    ##\left | a_1 \right |^2## is by definition the probability that the electron will be in state ##\phi _1##.

The sum of those coefficients is therefore ##\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left | a_i \right |=1##.

Now how to calculate them... hmm

If I am not wrong ##a_n=\left \langle \psi _n \right | \psi \rangle## or is it not?

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4
    ##a_1=\left \langle \psi _1 \right | \psi \rangle=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{\pi }d\vartheta sin\vartheta \int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{64\pi r_B^3})^{\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{r}{4r_B})\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi }}\frac{2}{r_B^{3/2}}exp(-\frac{r}{r_B})r^2dr##

##a_1=\frac{1}{2r_B^3}\int_{0}^{\infty}r^2exp(-\frac{5r}{4r_B})dr##

which gives me ##a_1=\frac{16}{25}##

Therefore the probability should be 0.4096.

I hope.

6. Jan 28, 2014 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good.

I get a different value.

7. Jan 28, 2014 #6
    Of course you do, ##5^2## was never ##20##.

##a_1=64/125##.

Thank you TSny!

8. Jan 28, 2014 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted