1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of 2 people meeting at given times

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i'm having trouble coming up with an equation for this problem

Mulder and Scully agree to meet at the FBI lobby sometime within a period of N minutes (e.g. 40 minutes).
    Each of them may show up anytime during that period (with a uniform distribution).
    If Scully arrives and Mulder isn't there, she will wait for X minutes and then leave.
    If Mulder arrives and Scully isn't there, he will wait for Y minutes and then leave.
    Neither of them waits beyond the end of the N minutes period.
    Write a function that gets , N X and Y and computes the probability that Alice and Bob meet. The
    function's inputs will be:...

Plot your result for X=5, Y=7, 10<=N<=60.

2. Relevant equations
    that is the question

3. The attempt at a solution

p =time^2-(1-t1)^2/2-(1-t2)^2/2

as time goes up exponentially the probability increases. as it does if their individual times increase.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It will probably be easiest to use a graphical approach. Consider the arrival times, Tx and Ty, as coordinates. Diagrammatically, what represents their meeting?
    I would break it into separate cases according to whether Tx+X<N, etc.

4. Jan 5, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi pug,
    could you elaborate how you found your probability ?
    In particular: how do you ensure it represents a probability at all (namely ##\int = 1## and: dimensionless -- none of these I recognize)

Also: I don't see what t, t1 and t2 represent (but I can guess)

Then: Expanding on haru's advice: pick a value for N, say 21 (the width of an A4 in cm :smile:) let a 5 cm wide rectangle of paper or cardboard represent Fox (there are no Alice and Bob in the problem statement description!) and a 7 cm wide one represent Dana. Shift left and right and discover !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted