1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem about constructing graphs.

1. Jul 13, 2007 #1
    I have problem about constructing graphs. Comparing these two problems:
    1) A hiker walks 27.0km from her base camp at 35 degrees south of east. The next day, she walks 41.0 km in a direction 65 degrees north of east. In my book, the graph is like the one that i show you here. but why 65 degrees north of east is not the red angle that i drew but the blue angle?
    Now see the 2nd question, 2) A pet-store supply truck moves at 25.0 m/s north along a highway. INside, a dog moves at 1.75m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees east of north. The graph that i show you here is what my teacher drew which is the blue angle. so why here the 35.0 degrees is not the red angle similarly to the graph of first question?
    I am really confused about drawing the angle with direction, i don't know which line should be the base of an angle, like in the first question, the base of 65 is the line below the x-axis, however, in the second question, it's the black line pointing to the north not the red line. Hope you can help me, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your drawing is not approved yet so I can't tell what you did.

But 65 degrees North of East means : starts from the East direction and then go 65 degrees toward the North from there. in other words, you go 65 degrees counterclockwise from the the positive x axis.

4. Jul 13, 2007 #3
    omg, i get it. Thank you so much!! Then i think these two graphs are right!!!

5. Jul 13, 2007 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

good!
    And you are welcome.

6. Jul 13, 2007 #5
    btw, here is another question, A player runs directly down the field for 35m before turning to the right at an angle of 25 degrees from his original direction. Then, here in this problem, suppose i draw a line for displacement 35m toward north, we can imagine it as y axis, so then i should draw 25-degree angle starting from the x-axis? or this line that i drew?
    / (35m)
    /
    /
    /
    /

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?