Problem concerning square roots

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical equation x + square(5x + 10) - 8 = 0 and the process of finding its solutions. The conversation also touches on the concept of square root and its properties. While there is some confusion about the value of the square root of a nonnegative real number, it is ultimately agreed upon that the principal square root is always positive.
Remos
I had this assignment in math class and it doesn't just add up.

x + square(5x + 10) - 8 = 0

Nothing too difficult to solve.

And the answer is:

x1 = 18 if square(5 * 18 + 10) = -10
x2 = 3 if square(5 * 3 + 10) = 5

But teacher says that x1 is not correct. To me it is not logical.

18 + square(5 * 18 + 10) - 8 = 18 + square(100) - 8 =

= 18 + 10 - 8 = 20 <- it doesn't fit into the equation
&
= 18 - 10 -8 = 0 <- it fits into the equation

I find it logical but teacher says that only positive numbers can come from the square(...).

How so?

10 * 10 = 100

and

-10 * -10 = 100

so

square from 100 is

and

Where's the catch?

Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
"x+ square(5x + 10) - 8 = 0"

is it square root or

x+(5x+10)^2-8=0 ?

saxen said:
"x+ square(5x + 10) - 8 = 0"

is it square root or

x+(5x+10)^2-8=0 ?

By square(...) I meant that -> square root from (...)

By definition, √(a) or sqrt(a) is never negative, so [itex]\sqrt{5x+10}[/itex] can not be -10.

ehild

Remos said:
I had this assignment in math class and it doesn't just add up.

x + square(5x + 10) - 8 = 0

Nothing too difficult to solve.

And the answer is:

x1 = 18 if square(5 * 18 + 10) = -10
x2 = 3 if square(5 * 3 + 10) = 5
It's a good thing you have "square root" in the title, or I wouldn't have been able to understand what you are doing here. I had to mentally translate "square" into "square root" to make sense of what you're doing.
Remos said:
But teacher says that x1 is not correct. To me it is not logical.

18 + square(5 * 18 + 10) - 8 = 18 + square(100) - 8 =

= 18 + 10 - 8 = 20 <- it doesn't fit into the equation
&
= 18 - 10 -8 = 0 <- it fits into the equation
What you have above is incorrect.
If x = 18, then
[itex]18 + \sqrt{90 + 10} = 18 + 10 = 28 \neq 8[/itex]

The square root of a nonnegative real number is always a nonnegative real number. The expression [itex]\sqrt{100}[/itex] has one value, 10. It is NOT also equal to -10.
Remos said:
I find it logical but teacher says that only positive numbers can come from the square(...).

How so?

10 * 10 = 100

and

-10 * -10 = 100

so

square from 100 is

and

No. The square root of 100 is 10. Period.
Remos said:
Where's the catch?

Am I missing something?

Ok, but what do I have to take square root from to get -10?

Remos said:
Ok, but what do I have to take square root from to get -10?
[itex]-\sqrt{100} = -10[/itex]

Mark44 said:
The square root of a nonnegative real number is always a nonnegative real number. The expression [itex]\sqrt{100}[/itex] has one value, 10. It is NOT also equal to -10. The square root of 100 is 10. Period.

I understand that when dealing with physical measurement problems it usually does not make sense to keep a negative value. Correct me (and all my professors) wrong, but through several calculus courses that I have taken, we have always considered two values when taking the square root of any nonnegative real number, even if we end up throwing one out.

I do not have master's degree or anything, I am just a student, but I find it hard to take the above statement seriously after having found so many instances of the opposite case fascinating and logical.

Your apparent authority on the subject has confused me, so I did a little research in my textbooks.. As I expected, every positive number x has two square roots: [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] which is positive, and [itex]-\sqrt{x}[/itex] which is negative... right? Collectively they are referred to as [itex]\pm\sqrt{x}[/itex] I think this is what Remos is alluding to...

ElijahRockers said:
I understand that when dealing with physical measurement problems it usually does not make sense to keep a negative value. Correct me (and all my professors) wrong, but through several calculus courses that I have taken, we have always considered two values when taking the square root of any nonnegative real number, even if we end up throwing one out.
It's true that every positive real number has two square roots, one positive and one negative, and that might be where you are confused.

An expression such as [itex]\sqrt{9}[/itex] represents the principal square root, and has a single value, 3. The principal square root of a positive number is positive.
ElijahRockers said:
I do not have master's degree or anything, I am just a student, but I find it hard to take the above statement seriously after having found so many instances of the opposite case fascinating and logical.

Your apparent authority on the subject has confused me, so I did a little research in my textbooks.. As I expected, every positive number x has two square roots: [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] which is positive, and [itex]-\sqrt{x}[/itex] which is negative... right?
Right.
ElijahRockers said:
Collectively they are referred to as [itex]\pm\sqrt{x}[/itex] I think this is what Remos is alluding to...
Right.

Here's from the wikipedia page for Square Root - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root

Every non-negative real number x has a unique non-negative square root, called the principal square root, denoted by a radical sign as [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]. For positive x, the principal square root can also be written in exponent notation, as x1/2. For example, the principal square root of 9 is 3, denoted [itex]\sqrt{9}[/itex], because 32 = 3 × 3 = 9 and 3 is non-negative. Although the principal square root of a positive number is only one of its two square roots, the designation "the square root" is often used to refer to the principal square root.

Mark44 said:
It's true that every positive real number has two square roots

Mark44 said:
The square root of a nonnegative real number is always a nonnegative real number.

I have tossed these sentences against each other for a few minutes and I think I've figured out the semantics. So, every positive real number can have two square roots, but performing the square root operation can only result in the principal root of the number?
I think it's all coming together, especially after reading the wiki.
Thanks!

Sorry to steal your thread Remos, but I hope maybe our discussion has clarified your question a little bit?

Last edited:
ElijahRockers said:
I have tossed these sentences against each other for a few minutes and I think I've figured out the semantics. So, every positive real number can have two square roots, but performing the square root operation can only result in the principal root of the number?
I think it's all coming together, especially after reading the wiki.
Thanks!
Right, that's exactly it. Similarly, every real number has three cube roots, but performing the cube root operation results in the principal cube root. Same with fourth roots, fifth roots, etc.
ElijahRockers said:
Sorry to steal your thread Remos, but I hope maybe our discussion has clarified your question a little bit?
I hope so. This was one of the things that he/she was unclear on.

What is a square root?

A square root is a mathematical operation that finds the number which, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, because 5 x 5 = 25. The symbol for square root is √.

How can I calculate a square root?

You can calculate a square root by using a calculator or by using a manual method such as long division or the Babylonian method. The manual methods involve finding the closest square number to the given number and then refining the answer through a series of steps.

What is the difference between a perfect square and a non-perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that has a whole number as its square root. For example, 25 is a perfect square because its square root is 5, which is a whole number. Non-perfect squares are numbers that do not have a whole number as its square root, such as 7 or 11.

Why is it important to simplify square roots?

Simplifying square roots can make calculations easier and more efficient. It also helps in finding the exact value of a square root without using a calculator. Simplifying square roots involves finding the largest perfect square factor of a given number and taking its square root, leaving the remaining factors inside the radical.

How are square roots used in real life?

Square roots are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. In engineering, square roots are used in calculating distances and areas. In physics, they are used in calculating velocity, acceleration, and force. In finance, square roots are used in calculating interest rates and investment growth.