Problem finding Spring Constant

In summary: The equation for x motion is x=vo*t*cos(theta)In summary, the conversation discusses a physics lab experiment involving a compressed spring and a metal ball. The goal is to find the spring constant by equating the initial energy of the system to the kinetic energy of the ball upon release. This involves using kinematics to solve for the initial velocity of the ball and then plugging that value into the equation for the spring constant. However, there are discrepancies in the calculations and further clarification on the set-up is needed.
Ytaipsw

Homework Statement

In a physics lab experiment, a compressed spring launches a 31g metal ball at a 25 degree angle. Compressing the spring 19cm causes the ball to hit the floor 2.0m below the point at which it leaves the spring after traveling 5.2m horizontally.
What is the spring constant?

Homework Equations

EPE=1/2*k*x^2
KE=1/2*m*v^2
PE=m*g*h
Kinematics?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the initial energy of the system is EPE+PE, and the only unknown is k, the spring constant, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I figured I could find the KE when it hits the ground and use the law of conservation of energy to equate this to my initial energy and solve for k but all attempts at finding that velocity failed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by arbitrarily assigning the initial velocity of the metal ball as v upon leaving the spring. Then, you are able to resolve the motion of the ball in the vertical and horizontal directions. Since you know the horizontal and vertical displacements of the ball, and the fact that the time taken in both directions is obviously the same, you can solve them simultaneously for v. (Yup, kinematics) From there, you can get the kinetic energy of the ball upon release and consequently the spring constant k.

Okay so i set EPE=KE right?
Then I solve for k.
k=mv^2/x^2.

Then if I say Ydistance=Vsin(theta)t+1/2(g)t^2
and Xdistance=Vcos(theta)t
and then solve both for t and set them equal.
Then when I solve for V^2 I get:

(Xdistance^2*g^2) / (2*Ydistance*g*cos^2(theta)-2*Xdistance*g*sin(theta)*cos(theta))

then I plug this into my equation for k and i get the value 31N/m, which is not correct.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Well, I need to know how the set-up looks like. "at a 25 degree angle" with respect to?
I'm surprised that you can even get an answer: the part of the expression (2*Ydistance*g*cos^2(theta)-2*Xdistance*g*sin(theta)*cos(theta))
= 2*2*9.81*cos^2 (25 deg) - 2*5.2*9.81*sin (25 deg) * cos (25 deg)
= - 6.85 is negative!
v^2 surely cannot be negative -> v is imaginary otherwise.

Assuming the ball is launched 25 degrees upward from horizontal, the equation for y motion will be
y=vo*t*sin(theta)-1/2gt^2 (y is positive upwards) or withe the signs reversed (if y is positive
downwards). The two terms do not have the same sign anyway.

What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How do you find the spring constant?

The spring constant can be found by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. By measuring the force and corresponding displacement, the spring constant can be calculated using the formula k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

What units is the spring constant measured in?

The spring constant is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m) in the metric system or pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the type of material the spring is made of, the diameter and length of the spring, and the temperature. These factors can affect the stiffness of the spring and therefore, the spring constant.

Why is finding the spring constant important?

Finding the spring constant is important in understanding the behavior of a spring and its ability to store or release energy. It is also crucial in designing and engineering systems that involve springs, such as in mechanical devices, vehicles, and structures.