1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem from Fermi's Thermodynamics

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    Hi all, I am getting stuck on this problem from chapter 4 of Fermi's Thermodynamics:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A body obeys the equation of state:

pV[tex]^{1.2}[/tex] = 10[tex]^{9}[/tex]T[tex]^{1.1}[/tex]

A measurement of its thermal capacity inside a container having the constant volume of 100 L shows that under these conditions, the thermal capacity (heat) capacity is constant and equal to 0.1 calories / K. Express the energy of the system as a function of T and V."

2. Relevant equations

The first law: dQ = dU + dW.

Since we want U=U(T,V), we can express the first law as:

[tex]
    \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_V dT + \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial V}\right)_T dV = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V dT + [(\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T + (\frac{10^9*T^{1.1}}{V^{1.2}})] dV
    [/tex]

We also know:

[tex]
    \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T = T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_V - p
    [/tex]

where again p can be substituted from the defined equation of state.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm tempted to say that [tex]\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_V = 0.1 cal / K [/tex] with the corresponding V = 100 L. If I do this and assume all dV = 0 for constant volume I get what appears to be a trivial result. I feel like I need to get a perfect differential to solve for U(T,V), but I don't see how. Other than that I haven't done much more than toy with the above equations. Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2
    I have looked at the problem again recently but still don't have much more insight. I see that, by the first law, since no work is being done (constant volume):

[tex]

\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_V = C_v = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V

[/tex]

Using [tex]

\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T = T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_V - p

[/tex], setting up a perfect differential and taking the derivatives, we can get:

[tex] dU = (0.1 cal / K) dT + \frac{10^{8}T^{1.1}}{V^{1.2}}dV [/tex], but I don't see how to go further. Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. Oct 8, 2009 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try expressing the constant-volume heat capacity as

[tex]C_V=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V[/tex]

Then determine S by integration (note that a function of V appears that needs to be evaluated via a Maxwell relation), and use

[tex]U=TS-PV+\mu N[/tex]

where [itex]\mu[/itex] needs to be evaluated by using the heat capacity condition.

This was pretty difficult to work through. There may be an easier way. I eventually got [itex]U=(0.1\,\mathrm{cal}/\mathrm{K})T[/itex] plus a function of T and V that vanished when [itex]V=100\,\mathrm{L}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook