1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove dQ is an inexact differential

1. Oct 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##dz=Mdx+Ndy## is an exact differential if ##(\frac{\partial M}{\partial y})_x=(\frac{\partial N}{\partial x})_y##.
    By invoking the condition for an exact differential, demonstrate that the
    reversible heat ##Q_R## is not a thermodynamic property.

2. Relevant equations
    ##dQ=dU+PdV##
    ##dU=C_VdT##

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##dQ=C_VdT+PdV##
    So, we have to show that, ##(\frac{\partial C_V}{\partial V})_T \neq (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V##
    Now,
    ##LHS=(\frac{\partial C_V}{\partial V})_T##
    ##=(\frac{\partial}{\partial V}((\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V))_T~~~~##[##C_V=(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V##]
    ##=(\frac{\partial}{\partial T}((\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T))_V~~~~## [Symmetry of second derivatives]
    So, we need to show that
    ##(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T \neq P+F(V)~~~## [where, ##F(V)## is an arbitary function of ##V##]
    ##(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T - P \neq F(V)##

If the equation of state is given, this can easily be proved. How can I prove this in general? I also do not understand what would be the difference for irreversible heat.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Just an input for you=I don't have the solution, but ## TdS=dQ_{reversible} ## so that according to the above, you should be able to show that the functional property holds for ## S ## but not for ## Q_{reversible} ##.

4. Oct 14, 2016 #3
    I think you should work with $$C_V=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V$$ and determine the partial with respect to V at constant T. This can be expressed in terms of the equation of state parameters by applying a Maxwell relationship.

5. Oct 14, 2016 #4
    I tried as you mentioned,
    ##\left(\frac{\partial C_V}{\partial V}\right)_T##
    ##=\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V}(T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V)\right)_T##
    ##=T\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V}(\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V)\right)_T## ... (i)

Now,
    ##\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_V \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V=-\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_S \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V##...(ii) [Using Maxwell relationship]
    Using (i) and (ii),
    ##\left(\frac{\partial C_V}{\partial V}\right)_T##
    ##=-T\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V}(\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_S \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V)_V)\right)_T##
    What should be the next steps?

6. Oct 14, 2016 #5
    I didn't notice before that, in your original post, your equation for dU is incorrect. Do you know what the correct relationship is?

7. Oct 14, 2016 #6
    You are going to kick yourself. This problem is much simpler than what you've been trying to do.

For a reversible process, dQ=TdS

Now, if you express dS in terms of dT, dV, and partials of S with respect to T and V, what do you get? What do you get if you substitute that relationship into dQ=TdS?

8. Oct 14, 2016 #7

Charles Link

Homework Helper

@Chestermiller I don't see an additional response from the OP yet, but your input was useful. I see when testing the criteria given by the OP in post #1, there is an extra term so that the two sides are not equal. In the case of ## dS=(1/T)(dU+PdV) ## though, the criterion is met, at least in the case of an ideal gas.

9. Oct 14, 2016 #8
    Thanks for pointing out the mistake. I am used to solve problems for ideal gases, that's why I have made the mistake, I guess.

Thanks for the hints!
    ##dQ_R=TdS=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right) _V dT + T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right) _T dV ##
    So, we have to show that,
    ##\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \left( T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right) _V \right)\right)_T \neq \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial T} \left(T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right) _T \right)\right )_V##
    ##RHS=T\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial T} \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right) _T \right )_V + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T##
    And,
    ##LHS=T \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right) _V \right)_T##

But ##S(V,T)## is a state function of ##V## and ##T##. So ##\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T \neq 0## in general.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted