Problem from Intro to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths (I know near nothing)

In summary, the problem asks for the mass of a particle in the state psi(x,t), where x is in the -∞, 0, and +∞ ranges, t is in the same range, and a and m are constants. A is found to be (\frac{2 a m}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4}.
WraithM
Okay, here's a quantum mechanics problem. I am just starting with quantum, so I have no idea about this stuff. I am requesting guidence or a push in the right direction, not nessicarily a complete answer, please. Also, I don't know if this fits into the Advanced Physics help forum. I've never posted on the homework help forum before. If this is too simple, please let me know.

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is in the state

[tex]\Psi (x, t) = A e^{-a[(m x^2/\hbar) + i t]}[/tex],

where A and a are positive real constants.

(a) Find A.

Homework Equations

Shroedinger's equation?

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \mid \psi \mid ^2 dx = 1[/tex]

Maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess my plan was to take the complex conjugate of the wave function there, multiply them, and then intregrate with [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \mid \psi \mid ^2 dx = 1[/tex] to get the answer for A. I ran into troubles along the way, and I have some theories as to where I messed up.

Firstly, I think I took the complex conjugate incorrectly. My knowledge of complex numbers is extremely rusty :( I haven't really studied that since perhaps my sophomore year in high school...

Here's what I said it was:

[tex]\Psi^* = A e^{-a[(m x^2/\hbar) - i t]}[/tex]

So, assuming I did that correctly (which is not a very good assumption :frown:), I moved foreward.

[tex]\mid \psi \mid ^2 = A^2 e^{-2 a m x^2/\hbar}[/tex]

Okay, and that's a gaussian, so the integration is tricky. I assume that this is not the proper way of moving foreward because when I tried to think of how to do the integration I got confused.

Does anybody have a good idea of how to move foreward with this problem?

-WraithM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you integrate a gaussian ? If not, then use a table of integrals. I'm sure you can find one in every QM book.

The integral is in the answer of an "error function" which I frankly have no idea how to deal with, but I like your idea of a table of integrals. I have a really solid table of integrals with 728 of them :D I guess I'll try that.

If anybody knows how to do the integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} A^2 e^{-2 a m x^2/\hbar} dx[/tex]

it would help me very much.

There's no 'error' function answer to this one, because the limits are + and - infinity. The solving of the integral

[tex] \int_{-\infty} ^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} {} dx [/tex]

is one of the oldest tricks in any analysis book. However, I'm sure you can find its answer in your QM book.

WraithM said:
The integral is in the answer of an "error function" which I frankly have no idea how to deal with, but I like your idea of a table of integrals. I have a really solid table of integrals with 728 of them :D I guess I'll try that.

If anybody knows how to do the integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} A^2 e^{-2 a m x^2/\hbar} dx[/tex]

it would help me very much.

use substitution and then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral#Brief_proof

Win!

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-b^2 x^2} dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2b}[/tex]

My 728 best friends never fail.

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} A^2 e^{-2 a m x^2/\hbar} dx = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} A^2 e^{-2 a m x^2/\hbar} dx[/tex]

So,

[tex]b^2 = 2 a m/\hbar[/tex]

And

[tex]2 \int_{0}^{\infty} A^2 e^{-2 a m x^2/\hbar} dx = A^2 \sqrt{\frac{\pi \hbar}{2 a m}} = 1[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]A = (\frac{2 a m}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4}[/tex]

My math is rusty :( I'm not going to do well figuring out this quantum mechanics, lol.

Thank you very much for the help!

1. What is the basic concept of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other through the use of mathematical equations and principles.

2. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is based on the principles of probability and describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. Quantum mechanics also allows for the concept of superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. What is the Schrödinger equation and what does it represent?

The Schrödinger equation is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. It describes how the wave function of a particle changes over time. The wave function represents the probability of finding a particle in a certain state at a given time.

4. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

5. How is quantum mechanics applied in real-world situations?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including in technology such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding chemical reactions and the behavior of materials on a microscopic level. Additionally, quantum mechanics is essential in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.