Problem geostationary satellite

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a geostationary satellite and the equations that apply to its orbit, such as gravity and circular motion. The desired height for the satellite is 3.58 x 10^5 km and the velocity can be calculated using the equation v=\omega r. The conversation ends with a suggestion to substitute v=\omega r into an equation to find the solution.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

At what height (from the ground of the Earth) must be placed a geostationary satellite?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure I understand well the question. I guess they are asking for a satellite in such a position that he would not deviate from the point over the ground it is situated. Well, I believe that the height doesn't matter at all and what matters is the velocity you put the satellite in orbit that matters. But the answer of the question is [tex]3.58 \cdot 10^5 \text{km}[/tex]. I have no idea of how to get the solution. Do you have an idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
They mean that the orbital period is 1 day, so that the satellite is always directly over the same place on Earth.

Also, assume a circular orbit. What equations do you know that apply to:
1. gravity
2. circular motion

They mean that the orbital period is 1 day, so that the satellite is always directly over the same place on Earth.

Also, assume a circular orbit. What equations do you know that apply to:
1. gravity
2. circular motion
Hmm... I guess they want me to use [tex]F_c=m_ca_c=m_c\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]. Also [tex]F_c=\frac{Gm_cM_E}{r^2}[/tex] which led me to conclude that [tex]r=\frac{GM_E}{v^2}[/tex]. But the velocity is unknown so I'm stuck. At last I could calculate it but only in function of the altitude (using the formula [tex]v=\omega r[/tex]) which is precisely what I'm looking for...

fluidistic said:
Hmm... I guess they want me to use [tex]F_c=m_ca_c=m_c\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]. Also [tex]F_c=\frac{Gm_cM_E}{r^2}[/tex] which led me to conclude that [tex]r=\frac{GM_E}{v^2}[/tex]. But the velocity is unknown so I'm stuck. At last I could calculate it but only in function of the altitude (using the formula [tex]v=\omega r[/tex]) which is precisely what I'm looking for...

What is [itex]\omega[/itex] for this satellite?

fluidistic said:
[tex]r=\frac{GM_E}{v^2}[/tex]. But the velocity is unknown so I'm stuck. At last I could calculate it but only in function
of the altitude (using the formula [itex]v=\omega r[/itex]) which is precisely what I'm looking for...

You're on the right track. What happens if you substitute [itex]v=\omega r[/itex] into the previous equation here?

Oh... Thanks to both! I didn't think about replacing [tex]v[/tex] by [tex]\omega r[/tex]!

1. What is a geostationary satellite?

A geostationary satellite is a type of satellite that orbits the Earth at the same speed and direction as the Earth's rotation, allowing it to appear stationary in the sky from a fixed location on the ground.

2. What problems can occur with geostationary satellites?

The main problem with geostationary satellites is the limited coverage area they can provide. Since they remain fixed in one location in the sky, they can only cover a specific region on the Earth's surface. This can be a disadvantage for global communication and navigation services.

3. How are problems with geostationary satellites addressed?

One solution to the limited coverage area of geostationary satellites is to use a network of multiple satellites, known as a constellation, to provide global coverage. Another solution is to use satellites in different types of orbits, such as low Earth orbit or medium Earth orbit, to supplement the coverage of geostationary satellites.

4. What are some other issues that can affect geostationary satellites?

Other issues that can affect geostationary satellites include solar flares, which can disrupt communication signals, and space debris, which can collide with the satellite and cause damage. Additionally, the lifespan of geostationary satellites is limited, typically around 15 years, after which they must be replaced.

5. How are geostationary satellites used in scientific research?

Geostationary satellites are used in a variety of scientific research, such as monitoring weather patterns, tracking environmental changes, and studying the Earth's atmosphere. They also play a crucial role in global positioning systems (GPS) and telecommunications, which are essential for many scientific endeavors.