1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem geostationary satellite

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At what height (from the ground of the Earth) must be placed a geostationary satellite?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I'm not sure I understand well the question. I guess they are asking for a satellite in such a position that he would not deviate from the point over the ground it is situated. Well, I believe that the height doesn't matter at all and what matters is the velocity you put the satellite in orbit that matters. But the answer of the question is [tex]3.58 \cdot 10^5 \text{km}[/tex]. I have no idea of how to get the solution. Do you have an idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They mean that the orbital period is 1 day, so that the satellite is always directly over the same place on Earth.

Also, assume a circular orbit. What equations do you know that apply to:
    1. gravity
    2. circular motion

4. Sep 11, 2008 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hmm... I guess they want me to use [tex]F_c=m_ca_c=m_c\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]. Also [tex]F_c=\frac{Gm_cM_E}{r^2}[/tex] which led me to conclude that [tex]r=\frac{GM_E}{v^2}[/tex]. But the velocity is unknown so I'm stuck. At last I could calculate it but only in function of the altitude (using the formula [tex]v=\omega r[/tex]) which is precisely what I'm looking for...

5. Sep 12, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

What is [itex]\omega[/itex] for this satellite?

6. Sep 12, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're on the right track. What happens if you substitute [itex]v=\omega r[/itex] into the previous equation here?

7. Sep 12, 2008 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Oh... Thanks to both! I didn't think about replacing [tex]v[/tex] by [tex]\omega r[/tex]!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?