Area covered on Earth by geostationary satellites

In summary, 162° is the correct angle to cover whole Earth using 2 satellites. Therefore, 3 geostationary satellites are necessary to cover the entire Earth.
ovais
Homework: Unreasonable Request - Member warned that some work must be shown.
Homework Statement
Hello all,

I have studying about radio communication, I came across a question which asked the fraction of area of earth covered by geostationary satellites. The answer given is 1/3. And when I go to see the solution it says a minimum of three geostationary satellites equiadistance 120° apart are required to cover the earth. I search more about it on the internet at some places they say that in that minimum 2 are needed to cover whole earth but to have interconnect them 3 are needed.
Relevant Equations
I used a little of trigonometry but it didn't match with the answer
My question is, given that the height of geostationary satellite to be 35786 Km and radius of about 6378km determine the area covered by a geostationary satellite Or deteremine minimum number of geostationary satellites requires to cover whole earth. Regards thanks a bunch :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us the trigonometry that you've tried? We can't help with where you are going wrong if we cannot see your attempts.

[The forum rules actually forbid giving help until that effort is shown]

Also, "some places on the internet" is not a specific enough reference for us to know whether the information you are getting is correct, is incorrect or is being misinterpreted.

Likes gneill, anorlunda, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
jbriggs444 said:
Can you show us the trigonometry that you've tried? We can't help with where you are going wrong if we cannot see your attempts.

I am sorry I just did a little mistake in converting angles from trigonometry ratio, now I got the correct angle. 162° so to cover whole Earth 2 satellites are not enough and therefore minimum of 3 must requires.

Also, "some places on the internet" is not a specific enough reference for us to know whether the information you are getting is correct, is incorrect or is being misinterpreted.
jbriggs444 said:

There were few questions-answere sites I went through yesterday that talked about that as an example the following one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/answers.yahoo.com/amp/qna/20090124133751AAZ3Vva
Thanks for your all support to help me look at my own mistake. Thanks a lot.

Regards!

Likes berkeman and jbriggs444

1. How many geostationary satellites are currently in orbit around Earth?

As of 2021, there are approximately 500 geostationary satellites in orbit around Earth.

2. What is the purpose of geostationary satellites?

Geostationary satellites are primarily used for telecommunications, broadcasting, and weather monitoring purposes.

3. What percentage of Earth's surface is covered by geostationary satellites?

Since geostationary satellites are fixed in a specific location above the equator, they cover approximately one-third of the Earth's surface.

4. How long do geostationary satellites typically remain in orbit?

Geostationary satellites have an average lifespan of 15 years before they are decommissioned and replaced with a new satellite.

5. Are there any environmental concerns related to geostationary satellites?

The launch and eventual disposal of geostationary satellites can contribute to space debris, but there are efforts in place to mitigate this issue.